DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That looks great. The only thing I would do different is instead of connecting the purple wire to the red wire, find a source that is only hot when the key is turned on. That way the fogs will turn off with the key.

·
9,861 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like the idea about the external switched source, that way you can't forget and leave them on. Or, alternately, you could leave them on all the time, that way they just come on when the car is on... Where is the nearest switched source from there??

As far as an external switch, to each thier own I guess. I like to try and keep it as stock looking as possible, I kind of like the idea that it looks stock but isnt. That way you don't have to drill holes and look for a place to put the switch, etc. I don't know. I think they should have just made it that way from the factory, but that is just my opinion.... I suppose opening the box isn't for everyone, but the option is there. Just one way to do it I suppose.

Anything else?

-Kenny

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well i did this mod it is my first one and it works great. i only have one problem. there is a ball bearing i beleive that is in the switch box that helps the headlights and parking lights to "seat" into place. well i have found the ball bearing that goes in there but i do not know where it goes inside of the box. so for tonight i hope they don't like randomly turn off on my or something crazy like that but if someone could look that would be great!

·
9,861 Posts
There are like 2 or 3 ball bearings. They go on the bottom of the switch assembly that moves back and forth. There are notches for them.

Now you know why I dont recomend that people open up thier switch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
current draw

By chance does this cause there to be no more current draw through the hi/lo multi function switch , in other words eliminating over heating or does the current still travel thru that switch?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the input!
As far as the ball bearings, mine never came out so I couldn't tell you exactly where they go/how to put them back, sorry. I'll add a warning about that into the how-to. Any other suggestions??

-Kenny

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dodge_Intrepid_Teen said:
Hey nice set up you got there looks good can't even tell you did the mode...but that seems like alot how hard was it? and great job with the write up and pics ...the pics are great
It is very simple, like a 15-30 minute job tops. And free... Free mod's are the best ones! The only thing your average joe might not have is the torx bit, but they can be had for pretty cheap, plus there are a bunch of other torx screws on these cars, Dodge seems to like those.

BTW: My set doesn't say what size that is, does anyone know offhand?

-Kenny

·
Registered
102 Posts
20 minutes worth of work. i would suggest if someone is going after the switch with a dremel power tool that they remove it and then cut clean it up and then reinstall the switch. it definitly needs a warning about the ball bearings i will take some pics tonight or tomorow of where they go i will figure it out and post about it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well i have not had too much luck figuring out my lil ball bearing problem. if someone does rip apart their assembly please look underneath the white tab and tell me if there is a ball bearing that rides on it that holds it into place. and if they see anymore ball bearings lemme know becouse i have not found anymore anywhere except for the one and i am still not sure where that one is goin

·
Registered
102 Posts
alright double post but hey it happens. what i did was i got the ball bearing back where it belonged which is underneath the little white gear looking thing and i got it all back together and installed and it works like a dream. with cutting the tab off you can crank on the headlights to far forward or to far back and then the ball bearing can come out again. i think that this problem can be solved by gluing a small peice of plastic to both sides so the ball bearing can not go far enough to pop back out. or maybe some hotglue on the ends of it or something. has anyone else ran into the ball bearing popping out? if so i found the easiest way to get it back in is to pull out the shaft of the switch as far out as possible and then take clear tape and tape the ball bearing down onto the post that it sits in. It is on top of a spring so if you compress the spring and put the tape on it you can put the shaft back down on top of it and pull the tape out and then put the assembly back together again. and the torx wrench size for the project is t-10x4

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Hey guys, this looks like a really cool mod that I want to do, but I'm confused. Could you explain the connector wires thing to me? You cut the red one on the far right AND the purple one two in from the left, correct? Then you hook the purple 'stub'(from the connector) to the red wire, correct? If so what to you do with the other two pieces of wire? Also if I want to hook up a swith to control this function how do I do that? Idealy I'd like to put a toggle switch where the 'cutout' for the traction control switch is, do I still have to open up the switch box? I'm oh so confused, can ya help a guy out here?:confused: Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
lol will it still fall out if you turn it to far? or does it stay in i don't have enough ballz to crank on it to see if it will come out again i am just going on the assumption that it will

1 - 20 of 89 Posts