DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i wanna kno how this was done!!! in the caption he says instead of the h3 bulb he put in a 3157 but how is it still producing light??? and how is it that it still looks like a normal foglight??? i honestly think someone stole this video so they could be just saying that ... BUT STILL... how to do this because i want it

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,879 Posts
Don't know about the fog light, but the 3157 turn signal bulb is a Switchback. I've had them for years.
Purchased them from autolumination.com

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
As far as making them work goes all you need to do is get a couple of 3157 sockets at the yard and wire them to the factory signal wiring and mod the fog housing to except the 3157 socket.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Make sure to seal around the fog bulb hole.. it more than likely wont be a direct fit

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
After looking at this pic of one of my fogs with the back removed im thinking that all that might have to be done to mount the socket will be to remove the center metal piece held in by the two screws and i already know the hole is large enough to accept the bulb and once that is done cut out the back of the cover and knotch it out just like the hole in the marker light.

Now i know this will render the aiming of the fog useless but it no longer a fog anyways it just another marker light.

Something else that i think will help produce a more even look to the light output would be to tape off the lens and paint the inside of the black housing with some adhesion promoter and some chrome paint.

The lack of reflective surface has always bothered me with the 1st gen fogs

Something else i was thinking about is that if you still want fogs the existing factory wiring can be used to power a set of aftermarket ones.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,879 Posts
3156 & 3157 Wedge Base LED Bulbs... are these the switchbacks???
Those numbers are just for indicating the bulb size that fits your vehicle.
Switchbacks under those numbers will be labeled as Switchbacks, then there are 2 types.....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those numbers are just for indicating the bulb size that fits your vehicle.
Switchbacks under those numbers will be labeled as Switchbacks, then there are 2 types.....
oh ok well since now im not engaged anymore this will definately be a good project to keep my head up high

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
So while i was looking a little more to see what will have to be done to make this work in a 1st gen i found out 4 things.

1. There is not enough room under the cover for the plug body to fit.
2. It looks very cool with the switchback working inside the fog housing(I taped mine in to see how it looked) lol.
3. There is enough room for the fog light to fit back in the bumper if the socket is mounted through the cover.
4. The Depot brand fog light suck and i found this out when i decided to clean the inside lens and it pushed out by hand.

The glue was like soft sticky window putty but it did make it easy to clean and wet sand the lens lol.

After i cleaned out as much of the goo out of the housing as i could i permatexed the lens back in.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I recently posted that Depot lights are not quality.. I see you found out the way I did ... Sucky quality huh?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts