DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have trouble in snow or wet roads? I am generally pretty cautious when driving in light rain or snow because of a few fishtailing episodes.

Do you think its tires, driving style (don't answer that ;)), or just design?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
actually i've found the LH to be one of the better vehicles for dicey conditions. it's wide, long, and is very heavy. my tires are about 40% tread and they are taking north dakota winter fine. they also do pretty well in the rain. maybe you gotta slow it down around the turns or get some new rubber on your ride.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm in ND also & this dang car will go through anything with a good set of tires. School was canceled one day last year & I decieded to go to bismarck (60 miles away) & had no problems busting drifts or losing traction (except when I played with the E-brake) :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have more problems with front-end-push than I do fishtailing. The car is heavy enough in front that you gotta take corners extremely slow (even from a stand still) to keep from just plowing forward. But other than that it drivers wonderfully in snow.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have some pirelli winter tires on my car and it drives awesome in the winter. Tires make all the difference....even high quality all seasons, can't touch proper snow tires. I think its a combination of the tires and weight of the car, but when I lock up my brakes (intentionally) I slide forward, but don't fish tail at all! The braking is very good with the snow tires too, but of course, since its not a 43 wheel drive, it sometimes takes a sec to get going fast in deep snow. Then again, yesterday I saw a Ford Expedition that slid off a cliff and did a few rollovers, so just goes to show SUV's aren't as resiliant as people think.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
mine handles great. gets through alot of snow, which is helpful in northern iowa :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I personally believe that Pirelli makes some outstanding tires. I've get a set of P6000s HP for summer use only, but I've read a lot of great reviews, especially from European owners who drive them in winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its funny you mention ND snow conditions, its really not alot of snow that I have trouble with, its mostly light dustings maybe less than an inch, maybe its just unseen icing.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Well, I know tires make a big difference. This is my second winter with my car and I still have the OE tires on them. The tread is still pretty good. The car still handles great in foul weather, but I can tell I don't have as much grip this winter as I did last winter. That just means I have to be a little more cautious. :)

This spring I will be getting new rubber (and hopefully rims too!) :D

My front brakes also need replacing. Gee, I wonder what brand of brakes and rotors I should get? :D But she stops without fishtailing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Warlord.... what a decision ..hehe.
djrng...I am looking around for some snows..how much were the Pirelli's ?
I was thinking of checking the Can Tire Blizzak copies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
WHAT, Drive the TREP in the WINTER????? GASP!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think BF Goodrich make the best tyres around. Their all-weather tyres are the best Ive ever had. They have excellent grip especially in icy conditions. If you want to go for new tyres then BF is the way to go. They out performed the good years hands down.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Okay, I don't know how to use the quote function, but...

Djnrg - "...since it's not a 43 wheel drive vehicle..."

You have no idea how funny that was when I just read it at nearly 1 am. I'd like to say a 43 wheel drive vehicle NOT get traction. And on another note, I'm personally glad that my Trep is not a 43 wheel drive vehicle.

Anyways, I have Mastercraft (owned/operated by Cooper tire) Glacier Grips, and these things give me incredible traction in snow rain or ice, but their dry road traction is kinda crappy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
1 question, Is the car supposed to slide far if your going around a corner at like 15 mph in the snow?? This is my first winter in the trep so all I know about winter is with my 91 prizm, that thing handled like a dream in winter with new tires on it... could it be because I need new tires on my trep or just because the trep is alot heavier and other factors??

Spyder

·
Registered
562 Posts
I can't eplain it, but my car seems to slida around alot when I push in the parking brake :) :) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts