DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Intrepid in for service due to the transmission defaulting to second gear and the speedometer not working -- found out the speed sensor was bad. They're also replacing one speaker that buzzes and they repaired one fitting on a transmission line that was oozing a little bit of fluid. Since the fluid was last changed 10,000 miles ago and still indicates that it's practically full, the seepage is extremely slight.

I took the opportunity to make an issue about the loud growling rattle noise when the engine is cranked up in the mornings. Basically the catalytic converter under the left cylinder bank has gotten loose inside -- the monolith probably broke loose from the steel casing, causing a rattle when cold. As it heats up it gets quiet. They're having to order a new converter, but it's so GREAT to know what the problem was and be on the way to resolving it. The converter is covered automatically by the factory for 8 years/80,000 miles, as is the car's computer.

Marcus
1998 3.2L ES

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hear a rattling on mine right when I step on the gas... usually worse when it's colder. It sounds like it has to do with exhaust.
Once the RPMs are up a bit it goes away. I'm wondering if mine would be fixed by one of the catalytic converters. Are the catalytic converters really covered for 8yr/80k miles or do you have an extended warranty?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Converters are covered by federal law. No extra warranty is required.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds just like what mine was doing -- growling rattle from the engine compartment area when the engine's first cranked up, then when the engine is warmed up it quiets down. Louder rattle on colder mornings.
On this '98 Intrepid 3.2L the converters are mounted or welded directly to the exhaust manifold so they can heat up quickly. I assume they are mounted that way on 2.7's and 3.5's.

Yes I do have an extended warranty but the converters and engine computer and a few other things are covered by the factory for 8 years or 80,000 miles. The federal government knows people won't pay so many $$$ for catalytic converters if they can get away with removing or gutting them.

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: Marcus ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem. My CATs were replaced last week. Problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts