DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quiet atlas!!
Slight knocking at 800 to 1200 rpm. Then goes away. Sounds like it is comming from the center of the engine block. Then yesterday i noticed that is was doing it in Park, Drive and Neutral, but not Reverse!
The solution. A loose bolt on the Torque Converter. Tightened it up and no more noise!
Jeff K.

·
Registered
467 Posts
wow. wonder how that happened?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On her 95 with the 3.3l. Underneath the motor, where the tranny and the motor bolt together, First you need to remove 2 short channel brackets on each side, 2 bolts each. Then you remove a couple of bolts for the bottom tin shield on the tranny. Now with a BIG screw driver or a pray bar, you need to rotate the flex plate until the bolts are exposed and then tigthen them. With air tools and a hoist, the Tranny shop did it in 15 mins.
Jeff K

·
Registered
424 Posts
instead of a big screw driver, I just put a 15mm wrench on the crankshaft, and rotate the engine. it is not very hard. Then I hold the engine in place with that wrench and use another 18mm(I think, maybe 19mm) on the tourque converter bolts and tighten them up. As for how to get to the bolt themselves, Jeff is absolutely right.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Best thing to do with those bolts to make sure they don't come loose again is to put some Locktite on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts