DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bit of reading and it seems that there's no love for Fram on this forum. I'm curious as to why. I use a Fram oil filter at every change (in my parents' vehicles as well) and I just installed a new Fram air filter. So far I've come across no problems but I was wondering about everyone else.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Cause, everybody knows K&N are the best in both those markets... Or at least they are definately the best air filter manufacturer.

-Brandon

·
Registered
190 Posts
There was a comparison done online (I think allpar has the link) and said they didnt test as well as others like K&N or Mobile. I personally use K&N mainly cause of the little attachment at the end that lets me use a 1" socket and ratchet to remove the thing and not a dumb oil filter wrench. I might be young, but I've used both the metal band and the plastic end cap oil filter wrenches/tools and hate both of them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
95LHS said:
I've done a bit of reading and it seems that there's no love for Fram on this forum. I'm curious as to why. I use a Fram oil filter at every change (in my parents' vehicles as well) and I just installed a new Fram air filter. So far I've come across no problems but I was wondering about everyone else.
I use Fram oil and air filters. no problems with them at all. I've considered using K&N air filters but the auto parts stores near me that carry K&N don't stock one for my '94 3.3 I've never even seen a K&N oil filter. One store carries both Fram and Purolator for my car. comparing them side by side, the Fram has a lot more pleats therefor more paper and better flow.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
K&N air filters are proven to be the best you can get. I've read they actually make your car run better then running no air filter at all.

-Brandon

·
Registered
99 Posts
See http://www.bobistheoilguy.com for detailed forums regarding all kinds of oil and filtration questions. Including why Fram filters suck big *expletive deleted*!!!

OT: BCIntrepid, what kind of car did those steel wheels come off of? Are those stock LH steel rims? With 15" trim rings? Sweet...now all you need are some kind of chrome center cap, you think the Intrepid police package caps would fit?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
** I have performed no scientific study determining the quality of FRAM products **

So I have no first hand experience. I have read up considerably on the subject though. I have seen "studies" on oil filters and they say FRAM filters are not that good. I say "studies" because they did not test the functionality of the filters but the construction quality and materials used.

Just go to google and search on "oil filter study" and you will find lots of hits on filter studies.

Do yourself a favor and buy a K&N oil filter until you have determined which manufacturer and filter deserves your money. It is a quality product($$$). I am using it until I have researched enough to determine if one of the less expensive filters will perform adequately.

Lastly, more pleats doesn't necessarily mean more paper and also doesn't mean better flow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like to use wix oil filters and full synthetic oil. but on my trep i use fram filters and casterol oil. i dont buy the good stuff b/c it leaks out too fast

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I personally use K&N mainly cause of the little attachment at the end that lets me use a 1" socket and ratchet to remove the thing and not a dumb oil filter wrench. I might be young, but I've used both the metal band and the plastic end cap oil filter wrenches/tools and hate both of them.

i use the pure one fitlers the blue ones, and i just have the socket for them not that 1 inch thing but eh socket that actualyl fits the bottom of the filter was $$ well spent. I personalyl would every buy a fram again, i used them a few times and was never truly happy for the price and a K&N fuilter is just too much. if i see a test that shows either of them are better then i'll stick to my pure one :)

·
Dain bramaged
7,208 Posts
Fram filters tend to choak the flow of oil off at mid to high rpm..

*we did a test on my buddys truck, 350small block, oil pressure gauge, fram filter and some pos that his boss gave him, the fram ran 10-20psi lower then the nonamed pos*

·
Registered
99 Posts
For the van, I use the $1.99 Valucraft filters. Crap, I know, but I hate my van, and change oil every 10K-15K. For the Ciera, it'll be Purolators, 7500 mile intervals, if I can find them. Wife does her LOFs every 7500 at Wal-Mart, they use a SuperTech filter. Motorcrafts every 3K for the Torino. But I won't put a Fram on anything I own or drive.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
I want an oversized filter.. Is there any performance increase in that?

-Brandon
prolly won't make any difference in acceleration,but having more filter material to keep the oil flowing is always a good thing.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
I want an oversized filter.. Is there any performance increase in that?

-Brandon
It won't make your car faster. But like jedgxe said, there is more filter media in an oversized can meaning you can filter more contaminates than the smaller filter.

Another benefit I saw was when doing a 5 qt oil change. With the smaller can the level was just a tad above the max mark on the dipstick. Now with the bigger can it is just a tad under the max mark making me feel better

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use NAPA Gold or Wix (both made by Wix) oil filters because they're the best. It's my personal opinion and I have no factual basis for it.

I use Fram air filters because they're readily available and, aside from the K&N filters, there's little difference between air filters. They're all the same except for K&N

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
BessieIII said:
I use NAPA Gold or Wix (both made by Wix) oil filters because they're the best. It's my personal opinion and I have no factual basis for it.
lol "I have no factual basis for it" so why say it? lol...

BessieIII said:
I use Fram air filters because they're readily available and, aside from the K&N filters, there's little difference between air filters. They're all the same except for K&N
See, all you have to do is buy ONE K&N and you are set for life.. no need to be "readily available" they are gaurenteed for the life of your car, and they last that long...

-Brandon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts