DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
silver&gold said:
DAMNIT!!!!! it will only let you do it once!
try clearing the cookies and temp files in IE and try again --- dont know if it'll work, but its worth a try

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Wow, same here. and I see our car dealer lied to us, this car was never in AZ, it was bought 85 miles west of here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thats Ok, I've got you all beat! Mine is a salvage vehicle with a salvage rebuilt title on it. Mine's red flagged all up and down the page when the report came in. but then again, I only paid a few thousand for the car and at 190000 miles it's still running.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Inferno,

I was able to access the site using Netscape. It did not work from my computer when I tried Internet Explorer.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Damnit. Switching to Netscape didn't help me any. Same message as Inferno...

And I might be buying this car too... If it's still working for anyone else, can you do me a huge favor and run this VIN and take a screenshot or save the html or something for me?

2G4WF5515Y1331076

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Knightmare_3.5 said:
Damnit. Switching to Netscape didn't help me any. Same message as Inferno...

And I might be buying this car too... If it's still working for anyone else, can you do me a huge favor and run this VIN and take a screenshot or save the html or something for me?

2G4WF5515Y1331076
2000 Buick Regal GS

No accidents.
No Odometer Roll Back
9/11/2000 mileage was 38
No Lemon buyback
One Owner in Alabama

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks a bunch jwilde. You rock!

/me just hopes he can get the car...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Don't put your faith in CARFAX!

I question the validity of Carfax. Before I bought my Durango which was supposedly involved in a "minor" accident from what the used car dealer said, I figured I better subscribe to a month's worth of Carfax. The Durango came up clean and didn't show much else except the date it was first registered. I later discovered the "fender bender" was a little more than that. After I got the new vehicle home, I crawled underneath and found a completely new front drive train and suspension, still had dealer paper work and stickers on parts.

Since I had unlimited use of Carfax, I thought I'd run my Intrepid and '91 Power Ram just for kicks. I had purchased both of these vehicles used and I know the Intrepid had undergone some moderate body work from a previous owner from the obvious overspray that was visible inside the engine compartment and underneath the front bumper. As a matter of fact, after I purchased the vehicle I discovered that at some point in the cars past, water had been sitting in the spare tire compartment, enough to fully rust the spare tire and jack! Luckily, no rust damage was found inside the trunk. I can't imagine how that much water had gotten in there, but I speculate it was sitting in a yard with the trunk open for some length of time.

Oddly, Carfax did not pick up on anything. The Intrepid had a clean bill of health as well as my Ram. Now I know my Ram was clean except for one small thing that Carfax should have discovered. The odometer had not been functional for 2 years. Now I'm not sure how Carfax gathers it's data since mileage isn't reported every year when a vehicle is registered, but I believe mileage is recorded when inspected (not sure).

Needless to say, I don't put much faith in Carfax. I even emailed them asking for a refund due to the lack of data provided on all 3 vehicles. Even though they claim money back gaurantee, I didn't really expect to see one. Well, I never even heard back from the SOB's. Luckily, all 3 vehicles have been excellent rides and I have no regrets of thier purchase.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Carfax can only track information that is reported, on my cars I have found registration dates and mileage as well as annual emissions checks

the main thing I use Carfax for was just to verify none of the vehicles I look at were ever rentals, fleet vehicles or had a salvage title

it is a good tool to verify the general truth of what the salesman is trying to tell you, I have had them say a car was a local owned trade bought from them and serviced only there, I would then run a carfax and see the vehicle move through 8-9 states and owners

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thats awesome, shows me as the third owner. No frauds on it, thats always a plus, right? :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Carfax only shows things that were reported. If your car is totaled AND the insurance company actually reports it as totalled to the dmv, then carfax should show it it has having a salvage or whatever title.

So there is a possiblity that a car might slide though the cracks even if it was actually totalled. Its like the ads I used to see for rebuildables that said "clean title". Now that car was never reported and even after you rebuild it, nothing was ever sent to the dmv so carfax won't show anything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
damn it!!! I'm always late This "free report" expired on the 31st and here it is August 2nd Thats just the kind of perfect timing that I always have LOL

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I did a Carfax on my 1995 Grand Marquis that was totalled. It turns out someone rebuilt it and its in use now down in Arkansas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts