DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tire manufacturers universally discourage any substance from being placed on the tires. I have used Meguiars Endurance (Satin finish) on three different cars and have never had a problem with tires cracking or drying out because of the tire gel.

I find the glossy tire products pretty gross looking. A friend of mine that used Turtle Wax Tire Shine had a problem where it permanently discolored the paint on the rear quarter panel.

I still swear by the Meguiars.

·
Banned
439 Posts
A friend of mine that used Turtle Wax Tire Shine had a problem where it permanently discolored the paint on the rear quarter panel.
he was putting the shine on the tires and not the car, right?:p

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LeeNYC said:
Tire manufacturers universally discourage any substance from being placed on the tires. I have used Meguiars Endurance (Satin finish) on three different cars and have never had a problem with tires cracking or drying out because of the tire gel.
i would think that having the gel on your tires 365 days a year would prevent the tire from drying out and cracking. Makes sense to me :blush:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Intrepid99 said:

i would think that having the gel on your tires 365 days a year would prevent the tire from drying out and cracking. Makes sense to me :blush:
That's what I thought too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Gary, yes the tire dressing from Turtle Was was placed on the tires and not on the body of the car. The fling-off was much greater, even after wiping the tire down after application, and the substance did in fact discolor the paint.

Pimped, according to all the tire manufacturers; they totally advise against any tire dressing at any time.... I wonder why???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Free Meguiars Offer

If you have never tried Meguiars Endurance, you might want to consider their free offer. It's a tiny blister pack good for one application to four tires.

I used to pay about $16 for a 10 oz bottle with applicator in the local Pepboyz type place. Ordering from the website for Meguiars is much cheaper. A 16 oz bottle, no applicator is $6.99. I believe shipping was free for any order over $20, so I ordered three bottles.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
They've had that free trial offer for about 2 years now so I woudn't worry too much about them running out. When I got mine back then it was only enough to do about 1 tire tho. Maybe they are bigger now. I use the high gloss everytime I was my car now and works awsome. You can see a huge difference just when you're washing. The dirt rinses right off and water beads up on em just like on the paint. It helps prevent that nice browning of the tires too.

The Meguiars gel will stain paint too if you leave it on too heavy, due to spin off. But the gel is so much easier to put on without oversparying your wheels and fenders. I'd never use anything else.

Warlord:
Does that tire tint actually work for you? The local Walmart here took a tire and did it half green, half silver and it really looked bad. Don't know if it was because it was two colors or they didn't know how to apply it or what. Maybe the red stuff looks better. Got any picks of it???

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Lee:

I work for Motorola SPS as a DSP (digital signal processor) Technical Applications Support Engineer. Long title that means I work with customers on integrating Motorola DSP's into their designs. I focus mainly on audio customers such as Sony, Pioneer and Rockford Corp. to name a few, but I also work with other non-audio customers like Nortel, Ratheon, etc. I worked for a short time with the Motorola Digital Audio group, but in the last round of layoffs and reorganizations at the end of last year I ended up back in the support group. However, I'm looking to move back to the Digital Audio group working in the automotive applications team by the end of this year.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Last summer I started to use the Black Magic Tire Tint (red color of course). That stuff is sweet! :)
I also use the tire tint (blue) I like it better then the Meguires, I find the meguires gets a build up on the tire, the Tire Tint does not, thats pretty much why I use it, because the tint is not very noticable. it lasts a while too. Im rating this against, Armoral, Black Magic tire shine, Meguires. Out of those ones that I have tried the tire tint is the best.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The Meguiars tire gel can build up if you aren't careful with it. From my experience the only times I've had built up was when I wasn't careful how much I put on (also cause spin off on my paint) or I didn't clean the tires well when I washed my car. Meguiars tire gel is not alcohol based like many tire dressings are which makes them water soluble and wash off easily. (This is the basis of Meguiars' claim that it lasts for weeks not days, even through heavy rain.) I always use Simple Green to clean my tires and wheels, it's great for loosening brake dust and road grime yet very gentle. Simple Green and a soft scrub brush seems to keep the tire gel from building up on my tires, but you can still tell they are protected since water beads up really nicely on them...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Well, my trial of Meguiars is on it's way also.
After about three weeks of ownership, I went to Walmart, and for like 6.99 Canadian funds I purchased a bottle of Armor All EXTREME!! hehe touchless spray polish.
They say to spray just enough on, don't touch it, and let it sit for 15 minutes to let it set in or "dry"
I'm telling you all right now, buy this stuff! It's awesome! the **** lasts so long, even days after washing the car. And yes water and dirt fall/bead right off the tires themselves and look f'n great :) With a high gloss look with my dunlop p07? tires its way cool, adds a better look to the overall look of the car. overall. did I say overall enough?
Well I'm overall done with this post, overally. :devil: :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts