DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally parting ways with my 1999 Dodge Intrepid ES that has 642,000 miles on it and is the only vehicle to have been to all 3,108 counties in the lower 48 of the US, also including most of Canada-equivalents and half of Alaska-equivalents. I am trying to find a cool place to donate my vehicle so that it does not end up in the scrap yard.

The reason for getting rid of it finally just past it's 20th birthday, and my 16th year of ownership - my first car at 70k in 2002, is that I finally blew the head gasket on the original engine, and I am not planning to repair it. The transmission is also original, but has been rebuilt (around 370k) and re-manufactured (around 500k). The engine has never been opened beyond basic maintenance.

I had been considering museums, but am open to other ideas including if you want to have it to repair it. Before blowing the head gasket, I thought she was destined for a demo derby. Anyhow, I figure fellow Intrepid owners are the best group to discuss this with as you all care about these vehicles.

I am willing to donate the car to any cause as long as it's legacy can live on and inspire other drivers to seek whatever their goals may be. Parting ways with the old girl is like a dying relative to me - although I'm not quite at the level of Bundy burying the Dodge in the back yard.

I am not allowed to post URLs, but if you Google "Dodge Intrepid counties" you will find stories of our county completion in 2015 when the car was ferried to Nantucket, MA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Like I mentioned in my post in your other 642,000 mile thread, I wish I could take it, but unfortunately, the timing for me is not the best right now. :( Sadly, I have no time to come pick it up and I also don't have space for another vehicle at this time. Not until I move anyway, which hopefully, that will be sometime in the coming months. I'd LOVE to have it. I love you and the car's history and I would love to take ownership of it and have all the bugs and minor things ironed out of it to keep it going. I live in Canada, which is the second largest country in the world, and I also have U.S. citizenship (my parents are American). It has always been a dream of mine to see this continent by the roads that (nearly) criss-cross every corner of it. I've always had a sense of adventure and it would be awesome to carry on your car's legacy by continuing to drive and explore with it. Sadly, it's just not in the cards at the moment. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's amazing! It gives me hope for mine, I am currently at 283k all-original.

Mine is a 2000 3.2. It was used travel from Southern California to Central California on a weekly basis. I am the second owner, now I commute about 140 miles per day with it.

I'm sure there's got to be some kind of Chrysler Museum out there that would be interested. That is truly remarkable. Good luck!

I'm not sure where you are, but if you are anywhere near California I might be interested

1 - 4 of 4 Posts