DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I currently use Freeservers as my web host for my web site. Starting in December, the "free plan" is going to be drastically reduced (****ing pisses me off :mad: ). What are some other free web hosts? I mainly need at least 10mb of space and be able to have my pictures (avatar and sig) show up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-chase

·
Registered
33 Posts
may i suggest DotEasy ?
-www.yourname.com Hosting
-20MB of Web Storage
-Unlimited Email Accounts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Intrepid99:
Just so everyone knows, I have used them in the past, and they do provide good service. However, you do have to purchase a domain.
Is it worth it? It looks like it'll only cost me as low as $18/year (with the 5 year deal). Am I missing something? It seems like $18/year for a "www.yourname.com" web site is a pretty good deal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Actually, thye domain deal from them isn't the best in the word, but it's not half bad.

I pay $15/year for all my domains for only 1 year at a time.

I get them from: http://www.directnic.com

However, you do have to buy the domain thru doteasy to get the free hosting. So with all that included, $18 is a steal. Just remember, this place can go under at any time, just like all the other dotcoms. If that happens, you will lose your hosting, but the domain will still belong to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doteasy is quite okay IMHO, been using it for a year now. The only thing i find a little unprofessional is the Serv-U ftp they use... other than that, up/down stream is pretty fast. And you get unlimit email too
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Damm if freeservers is going down.... looks like I am going to eventually have to get my website up and running..
http://www.djpill.com

Its not up yet, but im sure i can at least get it up to the point where i can hang pictures off there. Nice thing about owning your own webserver is you dont have to deal with bullshit restrictions about linking pictures to it and such.

Time to put that 9MB DS-3 to good use. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Hey, DJ..I just got mine up a week or so ago. I'm using the IIS service on Server 2K. Just a note, if you are using Cablevision, they block port 80. So if you use them and you think your site isn't working...chances are it's them.

I changed the port on mine to 30. So far, so good.

As a side note, I started messing around with Flash 5.0 last night. The tutorial that comes with it is pretty good. But I'm probably going to go out and buy one of those "Dummies" books to get a little better at it. Iknow how alot of you feel about Flash (ie: you hate it) But, I feel the more stuff you know, the more marketable you are....right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepidatious:
As a side note, I started messing around with Flash 5.0 last night. The tutorial that comes with it is pretty good. But I'm probably going to go out and buy one of those "Dummies" books to get a little better at it. Iknow how alot of you feel about Flash (ie: you hate it) But, I feel the more stuff you know, the more marketable you are....right? :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of flash. I don't hate it, but I hate how it's used. Mainly I hate going to sites that have a Flash intro. What a pain in the ass and waste of time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepid99:

I'm not a huge fan of flash. I don't hate it, but I hate how it's used. Mainly I hate going to sites that have a Flash intro. What a pain in the ass and waste of time.
I agree. It's similar to the animated GIF craze of a few years ago. People were putting them on their webpage just because they could - without thinking of the consequences. I remember having to wait for what seemed like an eternity to have a page download while all of the little chintzy animations downloaded.

IMHO, Flash is best used for slideshow style presentations such as this one and this one. It is also handy when doing cartoons such as these. What people still haven't fully embraced yet with flash is it's ability to access databases. There are many kewl uses for data driven Flash frontends, but no one has really done it well yet. :(

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i'm working on a way to be able to host for other people if interested...something to the effect of "yourname.thrashed.net" have yer own web page, a place to host pix or whatever. free of course, no banners, no BS and linkable. that box thats doing the hosting currently has 60gb +/- on it, so space is not really limited, only my bandwidth.

but until i get that going, enjoy This little flash thingie. :)

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts