DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friend's PC started having problems a couple days ago, the monitor wasn't turning on anymore (no signal).

So......we switched monitors, didn't help.
Today I switched the video signal from the video card to the onboard, didn't help. So then I pulled the video card hoping it'd send the signal to the onboard, nothing.

I also asked about "Does your computer beep on startup?", answer was yes.....however it wasn't beeping when I was turning it on.

Pretty damn sure the power supply is fine as all the lights still come on.

What do you guys think?
RAM? Motherboard? Video card issues?

Thanks,
Rob

Reactions: Mr.Dodge

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMD Sempron 2600 that I custom built.

Worked fine for a couple years........all of a sudden this crap happens.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are you getting no power at all to the monitor?
Or are you getting power but no video signal from the vid card?
If its the latter, The video cable may have gone bad.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm assuming that you switched out both the power cable AND the VGA cable when switching monitor, right? As in, it isn't just that one of those cables are just bad. But being that you said "No signal," I'm assuming that it does power on, just that it there's nothing to display.

And if you did change out both the power and VGA cables, then boy are you screwed.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed monitors........no signal, monitors both power up fine.

I reseated the CPU and RAM today, didn't help.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
Shut it off, unplug from wall (and monitor), open case and remove CMOS battery ( should also see CMOS jumper pins near battery) move jumper to second set for 10 seconds, replace to original position, replace battery (+up) plug in and turn on monitor, plug in and start puter and pray. Should be good to go.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The only thing I can think of right now is that the motherboard's video handler is screwed.
Not the video card or built-in video adapter, but the actual components that address the video signals within the MB.
Try mnitetrain's suggestion of resetting the motherboard's CMOS. If it was just a CMOS issue, that should clear it up. But if it is caused by busted components in the MB, then there is no other choice but to replace the motherboard. Repairing it may be more costly than it is worth.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried putting a screwdriver across the CMOS yesterday as well......didn't remove the battery. I'll try that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts