DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 intrepid that has front brake pads extending over the rotor by about 1/4in and it's been a big ol question mark ever since I got it. Every time I ordered pads for the car I say it's got 16in rims (even the door jam sticker says this) I always get the wrong set of pads that don't fit the caliper and I return them for what I'm told by the parts clerk to be the 17in rim pads with the lower backing clips that do fit, but are too large for the rotor. I noticed there are different rotors available and a rough diameter measurement of the rotors currently installed are about ~300mm which I believe are the correct rotors (297mm). Would really like to solve this mystery!
Vehicle brake Automotive tire Disc brake Rim Tool
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a few years since someone has posted with this problem.

I believe you need to measure your rotor diameter again. The wrong (small) rotors would be 283mm (11.14") in diameter. the correct rotors would be 297mm (11.7") in diameter. I'm thinking your rotors are 283mm (11.14"). The difference in diameters is just over 1/2", which gives you just over 1/4" of extra pad overhang. You have the correct pads. That's what I think you will find out.

A few years ago, aftermarket had the opposite rotors listed for our cars for some applications. I think they fixed the discrepancies in their applications lists eventually (I personally notified NAPA of the problem in their applications lists). But I believe that for some reason, someone put the wrong ones on your car, maybe some years ago due to the incorrect applications lists or some other reason - who knows?

Unrelated to the rotor diameter, it looks to me like you have either the wear bars or 'W' clips installed. They move the pads outward an additional 1/16" from what they'd be without those, but the 1/16" isn't that much of a difference. 1/4" mismatch from wrong rotor diameter is way more of a big deal.

If I'm correct, you need to replace your front rotors with the correct ones. You can get he correct size rotors in either outside- or inside-vented versions - either one is fine. The important thing is that you get one or the other in the larger diameter (297mm/11.7").
Hey thanks for the detailed response.

I'll pull the rotors off either tomorrow or this weekend to take a more precise measurement and report back. The W clips you're referring to are they the shims you place on the knuckle before installing the caliper that the pads slide on? I've never understood the purpose of those shims.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the rotors off and took some measurements. Rotors are definitely the correct size (297mm) but the pad overhang only measured 1/16 - 1/8 in rather than the 1/4in I initially assumed and ONLY on the inboard pad. The outboard pad has normal wear. Based on this I think it's safe to say this is due to the added shims and not likely to be an issue. Shims can be removed on the next pad change.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Wood Tread Natural material Tire
Tire Helmet Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Wood

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts