DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. Was about to change my front disc pads today. When I opened the box, there were a bunch of "shims" Apparently, I gotta measure the clearance between the new pads and the the bottom of the caliper. WTF? Never saw this before............

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Pics?

Where did you get them from? were they cheap pads?
Mine had nothing like a shim for them when I replaced them.
Did they come with instructions for this measuring?

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a small bag in with the pads, saying that they are "Chrysler Bracket Wear Clips" I am to measure the new pads on the calipers, and use the corresponding clip to adjust the clearance dimension.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
can you take a picture and post it? This sounds almost like the clips that touch the rotor when the pads get low, letting you know its time to replace.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hmmm......
The wear indicators are usually riveted to the pads to make that squeal everone hates in order to let the operator know it's time to change the pads. Anti-rattle clips would be another possibility. They clip on the back of the pad and hold the pad in the piston bore or caliper housing and keep it from "chattering" when the brakes are not applied.
As to "bracket wear clips", don't think I've ever heard of, or seen those, in 25-ish years of working on cars. There's always a first time though, but I would be skeptical.
Are these good quality pads or cheap no-names?
Cheaper manufacturers will often make one part that will almost fit several different vehicles and put "shims" or "adjusters" in the packages to make it fit your specific application.
Is there a brand name on the pads?
Warlord seems to have the most info on this stuff, maybe he could chime in with his thoughts (if he's around).

Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not # 1, but rather, #2 in Quality. The local canuck tire store didn't have the #1 in stock. Beginning to regret that though. Am trying to scan a copy and post, but won't work

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Ah ha!

Crappy tire strikes again.

Let me guess, not the "premium" pads?

If you can hold off a day or so, I can swing by crappy tomorrow and get the boys to pull out a set for me to look at. I generally try to avoid crappy tire as they are on of the worst for the "hey, look, this is close enough to work" parts suppliers.

For example, I went in to look for the r/t 300m rotors, they listed them but when the counter guy pulled out a set, they were the standard rotors. We looked up my 2000 es, a 2003 r/t and a 300m and special, all the same part number. They even listed the same one for the PHP package.

Sounds like that's what's going on here. They will probably work just fine for normal everyday driving though. They wouldn't (probably) sell them if they were going to cause a liability issue, no-one wants to get sued. You could call tommorrow (or today if you have sunday shopping where you are) and confirm you got the right part number if it causes you some concern, the guy might have looked up, or pulled off the shelf, the wrong part.

cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok just an update, or closure for that matter. Went ahead with my change, found the disc pads were no problem at all. But......the rotors? yup....wrong size. Piss me off royal. The freaking idiot was supposed to give , (at least, thats what I paid for) me Munroe, but this is some jap **** with the wrong dimensions. I know I know my fault for going to that freaking place. Never, ever again...('cept to get my money back)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Well, not to defend them but, there are two sizes of front rotors for the Intrepid.

One for 15" wheels, and one for 16" wheels depending on what your car came equipped from the factory with.

Hmmm, rawdon......
Rawdon Nova scotia?

Good luck

Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I suppose that could be it. I didn't think to mention it, but on the other hand, he didn't either....
nope.....Rawdon Quebec but don't hold it against me!!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The Monroe rotors are good stuff. Our LHS had poor rotors when we bought it used 6 years ago. I replaced them with premium dealer stuff 6 years ago and with Monroes last year. Both perform flawlessly and I abuse it horribly.

Those clips are to take up any clearance worn into the pad holders.
High mileage cars will wear low spots where the pad contacts the holder. Problem is the holder better known as a slider will not funtion properly with a wear spot. To make matters worse, they offer clips to take up the clearance but since the new thicker pads will place the pad into a fresh spot the clearance will be none and the pad will not float.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I agree. There was absolutely no use for the clips in my mind. The way I figure it, if the holder gets that worn, you're better off to replace the calipers. Thanks to all who responded. Nice to know that you guys are around.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Shims came with mine as well.....I didn't use them. Wagner Thermoquiet pads.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Rawdontrepid said:
Yeah, I agree. There was absolutely no use for the clips in my mind. The way I figure it, if the holder gets that worn, you're better off to replace the calipers. Thanks to all who responded. Nice to know that you guys are around.
And than it hits you...the bracket (holder) is part of the steering knuckle and not part of the caliper on these cars. :)

I believe the "shims" you are referring to are the ear abutment clips. The purpose of these are to fit on the ear of the pads. The bag comes with four clips each of four difference thicknesses. The idea is to fit the correct thickness (size) clip on the ear to make the pad fit snug into the whole assembly. This will prevent movement which will prevent noise. Since the bracket can be worn, or the paint could be of varing difference, or the steel backing plate has a build tolerance to it, is the reason for the different clip thicknesses.

btw...I've never used those clips and haven't had any issues.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
:smilie_pc ok the clips hes refering to are wear clips,, on our cars the pads move around some and wear away metal where the pads ride,,this can cause noise squeels etc,, these clips are desinged to fill in the wear so the pads cant move around,, ,, where i work we use wagner thermo quiet pads i love them,, best pads since well,, anyway,, if your pads came with these clips there good pads,, most i said most premimum pads will come with new clips hardware etc,, read the instructions,, and use them it will save you a lot of noise

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I had a bunch of #3ish looking ones that came with my pads?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was discussing this situation with a neighbour, and he was telling me about this stuff that crappy tire sold him. Some kind of degreaser for the rotors. A spray can that you just spray on, and wipe off. Is he puttin' me on? I always used a couple of rubs with a real fine grade of sandpaper....

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Rawdontrepid said:
I was discussing this situation with a neighbour, and he was telling me about this stuff that crappy tire sold him. Some kind of degreaser for the rotors. A spray can that you just spray on, and wipe off. Is he puttin' me on? I always used a couple of rubs with a real fine grade of sandpaper....
I believe he is referring to "Brake Parts Cleaner".

Best practice is to wash the rotors with dish soap and water before putting them on the car.

What I do is spray the rotors with the brake parts cleaner, and than clean them with dish soap and water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts