DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had both rear mufflers cut off and replaced with a single Flowmaster muffler and it sounds absolutely awesome :) Was afaid it'd be too loud, but it's really just fine -- nice and throaty with a good deep rumble. Who knows, with the extra-large K&N cone filter I have installed, maybe I've gained 2 horsepower total! lol

Does anyone know just what that front muffler is? Two pipes going into it, one pipe coming out. Is it nothing more than a straight-through Y-pipe with maybe a little fiberglass packing, or is it a full-fledged baffled muffler?

If it's a standard baffled muffler then I'm concerned the car will be louder replacing it with a Flowmaster. But if it's just basically a Y-pipe inside a muffler casing, then there should be no sound increase.

Thanks
Marcus
'98 Intrepid ES 3.2L

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like that is only a merging point for the pipes. Maybe workes like a crossover for the back presure too.

sURFN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes i'm a little late, and you probably already know what it is, but I think it is nothing more than a resonator. They are used to smooth out the exhaust pulses. Couldn't tell you what replacing or eliminating it would do to the sound or performance. Mine is rusted out and I will be eliminating it soon enough. We'll see how that goes.

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
Yes i'm a little late, and you probably already know what it is, but I think it is nothing more than a resonator. They are used to smooth out the exhaust pulses. Couldn't tell you what replacing or eliminating it would do to the sound or performance. Mine is rusted out and I will be eliminating it soon enough. We'll see how that goes.
GOOD GOD a little LATE!!!....that an understatement....9 years is gotta to be the oldest bump i've seen....don't expect a response from the only 2 posts from the last decade....lol

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I'm curious as to what kind of car he had with so many mufflers. We could turn this into a " make fun of op for not knowing what he's talkin about " thread.

·
Registered
175 Posts
FWIW, the 02 Intrepid FSM shows a resonator connecting both banks followed by 2 mufflers further toward the tail end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.