DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried to remove their front factory speakers and install new ones? What is up with the black grill cloth covering the speaker? I can't tell how crappy those factory speakers are unless I cut the cloth. It looks like you need a little hex wrench to get the screws off but other than that; is this a simple painless process?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's pretty painless. The speakers are ok...hold it up in bright sunlight and you can kinda see the speaker. Remove the 3 hex screws and a standard factory speaker wire clip and you're done. The crappy thing is the fact that those 3 progns aren't standard for 6.5's so you'd either have to fabricate something or drill into the door panel. Metra makes an adapter piece (82-6600) that you can see below. Click my link if you wanna see what I've done so far on my audio overhaul...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gotta love Metra.

I'm planning on making my own adapters and mini enclosures for my Infinity Kappa's up front (and for the 6x9s and 8" mid-basses on the back deck.

MacG467

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, im new here so bare with me, Pioneer makes a set of oversized 6.5 , the ones i have in intrepid are 3-way at 180 each , I didnt have to use any adapters they actually fit perfectly..I highly recommend them.. :cool: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a question about the speakers for the Infinity setup from the factory. It says that there are 9 speakers. I can only count 7.
1 in the middle of the dash.
4 on the front doors
and 2 in the back.

is there 4 in the back? 6X9 and a pair of tweeters?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
1 on each door pillar(2), 1 on each door (2), 2 2ways on rear deck (4), 1 in center of dash (1) = 9

at least thats the best conclusion i have come up with.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
that's a little misleading if that's the case

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 2 way speakers are out the tweeters not the rear deck. The speaker count is:
center dash=1
door sail panel tweeters are 2.5" 2 ways=4
6.5" midbasses in the front doors=2
6x9" in the rear deck=2
Total=9 speakers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Originally posted by shadow1:
The 2 way speakers are out the tweeters not the rear deck. The speaker count is:
center dash=1
door sail panel tweeters are 2.5" 2 ways=4
6.5" midbasses in the front doors=2
6x9" in the rear deck=2
Total=9 speakers.
What is that center speaker, kinda curious?

-DEEPRED

---------------
'99 ES Inferno Red
K&N Filter

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think the centre one is the same as the door pillar.. I just want to know, how the heck you would replace that damn thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The center speaker adds to the front sound imaging. One the reasons why the Chrysler Infinity sound system is one of the better OEM stereos. Better than many Bose systems, Toyota's premium JBL system or VW's Monsoon setup IMHO.
That speaker would be hard as hell to get out without completely dismantling the dash. Crutchfield doen't even list a replacement - I think it's a nonstandard size like the 2 way tweeters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know if anyone can verify this, but while I had my system dismantled I happened to play with the balance and fade on my new head unit. The only thing that was hooked up were those speakers in the dash. You could switch it from one side to the other. I was under the impression that there were 3 very small speakers in the dash...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hold on shadow, the VW monsoon sound system smokes the Chrysler Infinity sound system.

Having just replaces my 2000 Jetta GLX VR6 with my R/T, I am very unhappy with the sound quality of the infinity system. It lacks the bass responce of the VW. I hope it is just a speaker issue and not the head unit. I would like to replace the lower door speaker ASAP. I hope that will also clear up the rattle that my window switches make when I turn up the volume to a normal level. :eek:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yeah, I know the rattle your talking about, On my car, its just the grilles. if I push on it, it stops the rattling.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the toyota JBL system is hard to beat. granted, it's playing in a much quieter car. GM's bose systems are still the finest factory-available audio packages on wheels.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by blkbute:
yeah, I know the rattle your talking about, On my car, its just the grilles. if I push on it, it stops the rattling.
If i put my hamd on the window switches the buzzing stops. Im not sure if I should go back to the dealer or just take the speaker out and try to add some dence foam pading inder the switched to see if that stops it??? :confused:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by mlfca:
If i put my hand on the window switches the buzzing stops. Im not sure if I should go back to the dealer or just take the speaker out and try to add some dence foam pading inder the switched to see if that stops it??? :confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
david2376,

Do you happen to know your dash and harness kit #s? I've found several and they all look very different. What has everyone else used?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I justed replaced my front speakers a piece of cake.. THose stock speakers are crap, I changed to Audiobahn 6.5 3way 180 watts, they sound fantastic. I waiting on my 6x9's now I'm switching to Audiobahn as-69c 6x9 3way 400 watt..

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine seem to be glued in. Am I just stupid? (no funny business)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts