DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 ES corners like a dump truck and it needs new front struts bad. I'm looking for a performance strut but not too much $$$, under $500 for the pair, an I don't want to have to change anything else (springs, engine munts, etc.) does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am in line for new struts also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I don't really know, the nose bounces excessively when I go over railroad tracks or speed bumps as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yea its probably time for struts then.

If I had the money, i would throw the eibach springs on, but the struts themselves with set me back a few dollars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at Eibach's site and there isn't a dealer near me, and when you get the kit do you get all 4 springs? Does anyone have an idea how much these cost?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
i thought eibach discontinued making springs for our cars :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
according to their site they still make the pro-kit

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ah the suspension debate...

I purchased Eibach Springs pro kit, and KYB struts, about 6 months ago... with no sign of dis-continuiation...

However... If I get another inttrepid 1st gen... Im going with Koni Adjustables this time... because I hear they pair up alot better with the springs.

the springs you should be able to shop around for to get under $250.... and yes all 4 are included... I belive you could find a set of 2 Koni adjustables for the frount for another $250... but the ? is will you install these yourself? [first mod I did... proud to say i did it myself!]

If you can wait and save up a lil more... get all 4 koni adjustables... worth it for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With any luck, I'll do it myself. So Koni is the way to go huh? But, I would only be able to get the Koni fronts? I also heard some crap about the Eibach springs cause some failure with the CV joints. Does anyone know anything abou this?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have also heard that lowering the intrepid hurts the CV joints, but there are a lot of guys on the site with their cars lowered, and they haven't reported any problems that I know of. And if your concerned, go with the Eibachs since they don't drop the car as much. My car bounces like a biotch when I go over bumps, dips or train tracks, so I need new struts too. I think I am gonna go with the Eibach's in the summer, along with some KYB struts. I might go with the Koni struts, since APPARENTLY they go better with the Eibachs. But that depends on the price tag! I looked around a bit and one price I was quoted for all 4 springs and KYB struts around here for is about $1100 Canadian. I gotta shop around more though, cuz I might find something better, and I have a friend who can apparently get them stock.

BUT, chances are, if your struts are ****, your car probably bottoms out fairly often like mine, which damages the springs, so if your gonna do it, do it right and replace the springs and struts. Less of a pain that way, and I'm sure you will like the result.

(btw I'm gonna try doing it myself too! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
A little note about the Koni. This is a strut cartridge. In other words you take your stock struts. Cut em and gut em and then install the cartridge inside the empty shell. They are supposed to come with good instructions but I have not tried it myself.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Look into KYB GR-2 struts, that's what i have on my '94...along with Eibach lowering springs. Handles SO much better with new struts and springs. You can get them through Summit (1-800-230-3030) for around $70/each. Call early cause i had to wait a bit to get them from the manufacturer. Another thing to get when doing this are new sway bar links, the ones from Murray's come with a lifetime warranty. If you have any more ?'s, email me: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Anyone know how 1st gen ES suspensions are setup? my car bounces all over the place, I know the back shocks (do we have shocks on them? macpherson struts?) are finished. I want to get all 4 replaced, any idea what I need?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Never mind, stupid question, I must have been drunk or somethin' when I wrote that

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did miss something about the cost of the whole setup? Apprx. $140 for 2 KYB-2 shocks in the front and another $250 for 4 eibach springs, or is that $250 a springs? or am I retarded?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i've heard that the Tokico struts work well with the Eibachs, they are more then KYB's, but less then Koni's, kinda in the middle. I am prob gonna get them

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have eibach springs with edelbrock struts....they work fine

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much $$$ was for the edelbrock struts + springs? Did you do all 4 struts?

·
Registered
97 Posts
did all four springs, just front two struts. all four springs were around 350.00 i think, I dont know for the struts, they were a gift.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts