DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I drive the 55 miles to the stealership where I bought my baby, and I tell them about my little steering issue. I says to the guy "anytime i am driving above 66 mph (and sometimes slower) I hear and feel a vibration every time I turn the wheel to the left". The fella says ok and then I go sit down and wait for them to fix it. After at least an hour and a half the "shop manager" tells me he can't find anything wrong with the front suspension and says to drive him up to the speed that i'm noticing it at. So i take the car up to I-90 and try to go over 65 and change lanes a few times to show him. He basically tells me first he doesn't notice it, and then says he notices it but its "too slight" to fix. Its not slight to me! He says even if they did replace the wheel bearing it would sound worse? I probably should have stayed and fought it but he didn't really give me the option. Didn't even invite me back in to the shop, just told me to drop him off. I guess he tried to avoid the issue? I know stealerships hate warranty work and they already did my window regulator a while back, for free. I'm not even sure I want to go down there again, because it takes so long, and because its a long way to drive with a car in a condition like that. I even notice some steering wobble while cruising at highway speeds, and when turning and slowing at lower speeds. Meaning if i'm driving straight with the wheel relatively centered, the car basically veers back and forth slightly. There is absolutely no issue with turning the wheel to the right, and the sound does not match the rotationary speed of the wheels or the engine. I estimated maybe 50 times per minute. So basically around once a second. I really want to take it to another shop such as sears automotive where my brother can have it looked at for free or cheap, but don't want to be told that theres no reason to fix it. If something doesn't seem safe and is sounding damaged and bugging the crap out of me why shouldn't I have it fixed, right?

Josiah

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was instant messaging with a fellow DI.netter and he said somebody had a similar problem and simply topped off their power steering fluid and it was fine after that, so i'm going to try that maybe tomorrow. If that doesn't help I'll take it to the pros at sears and have them do a "alignment check" and have them look at those parts. Thanks for the ideas!

Josiah

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
DANG....55 Miles to the dealer???
is there no dealer closer to you, because they will all do the waranty work on it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
oops, also forgot to mention, when I told you about the Power steering fluid, I didn't know there was a vibration, I thought it was just making weird noises when turning, and that is what my friend had, and added power steering fluid, and it was good as new, but it sounds like you may have something else going...
either way, good luck, and hope it gets fixed soon!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha. No problem. Appreciate the help anyway. You are one of the most helpful people on the site! And letting me harass you on instant messenger is cool too lol. I'm just going to take it into sears and see what they say. If something has to be fixed I can then take it to a dealer and yell really loud lol.

Josiah

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I didn't think of it that way. It seems that they kept trying to tell me nothing was wrong when I knew it was. No big deal, I'm going to have it looked at soon.

Josiah

·
Registered
663 Posts
OK, depending on how you feel about the problem. If its bad. I would:

1:Jack up the car's front end.
2:Grab the wheel on the top with both hands and try to see if it moves. (If it does,Ball joints and or Bearing)
3:Grab the front and back of the wheel and see if you can get some movement.(Tierod ends and links)
4:If you have a hyd jack and let the car down fast. Do so. See if you hear anything pop.(Could be strut)
5:Grab ahold of the sway bar and give a pull and push. Your bushings may need to be changed.
6:After you drive a while. Feel the rim in the center. See if its really hot.
7:Inspect your brakes. Rotor could be out of round (warped)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm sure this is not it because you said it does this when you turn the car (switch lanes etc) but could there be a broken belt in the tire or a defect in one of the tires?
I had a broken belt in on of my front tires but you could only notice at certain highway speeds. It still does not explain the turning issue though.

-GB49

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are some really good tips, I appreciate it. At least its a good place to start. I have definitely heard about wheel bearings and people saying it could eventually burn through the center cap or whatever. I honestly haven't felt wheels after driving, but I will mess with it tomorrow. I am now noticing even at very low speeds (20-30) when i turn the wheel left, especially sharply, I feel it as i would at higher speeds but not as pronounced, if that makes sense. Also, I am starting to notice the infamous steering wheel wobble as i'm braking coming off at my exit on the way to work, which is an easy sign of brake warpage, but the dealer replaced the front rotors, and not the pads, but i don't know if that would do it so quickly (car picked up feb 9). I checked to make sure they were brand new and they were still shiny and had the fresh cross-hatching of a brand new disc, so I know it was true. It could easily be something with the tires because they tires are new(again, from dealer), but they are Lee brand which I assume are cheap. They don't look to be of high quality. Also, my right front wheel looks like it has been either curbed several times or was in an accident that wasn't reported. There are literally chunks taken out of the "lip" and large deep scratches on the surface of the spokes and inner areas. I'll bring out the jacks and stands tomorrow before i wash the car, if the weathers nice. I took off the wheel the other day but it's all greek to me under that car. Ironically I aspire to be a mechanic but really don't even know where to start. I'll move the wheel in the ways you said and try and check everything else. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out or if i have updates.

Josiah

·
Registered
663 Posts
The more you say. The more I think you may have bearing issues. When you shake the tire. It will tell you , you'll feel it pop back and forth. Put some weight into it when you do it as well. If it doesn't make noise right off the bat.

I bought my car with a bad right front bearing. Thats why I got it so cheap.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Broken belt in the tire is a good thought, so is an out of balance tire. they start to vibrate at higher speeds. Bad wheel bearings can do that, and so can directional tires that are switched to the wrong side of the car. My wife's Sebring had directionals and the garage (independent that I trust, not stealership) accidently flip-flopped the two fronts when they did the wheel bearings and the steering wheel shook look you wouldn't believe. After I got the car home, I noticed the fronts were on the wrong sides and switched them back and took it up to 85 MPH, smooth as can be.

My experience with dealers and warranty work is they tried to push me off until AFTER the NY Lemon Law had expired. Even told me to wait until the end of the month after buying the car so my extended would cover it. That's because they'd have to eat the cost of the repairs if it fell under Lemon Law. Josiah, you are a NY'er also. Check on the NYS DMV website about the lemon law and see if your car still falls under it. There's a time/mileage restriction on it and only certain things are covered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts