DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f's vw's washer fluid has forzen, anybody know of some kinda heated wrap i can throw on in the winter to prevent this?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Umm, how cold is it there? I've never had that happen to me here in Minnesota. I have no idea what you could use to thaw it out. Maybe just keep that engine running and then add some more fluid that can withstand some really, really cold temps.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Make sure and use the orange/red windshield washer fluid, it's a deicer which will never freeze

·
Registered
456 Posts
Prestone De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid and the Rain-X De-Icer Fluid are both good. I've used both. I currently have the Rain-X in and no freeze yet in they below 20 deg temps.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can pour in some rubbing alcohol in the meantime to defrost it.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
use a hairdryer to defrost the tank and then run the washer for a few minutes to purge the bad stuff out of the lines before you add new fluid

you should try to run straight washer fluid or the deicer kind to avoid this happening again

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
jakeoooooo said:
You can pour in some rubbing alcohol in the meantime to defrost it.
I like drinking alcohol better, Jack Daniels Green Label, Johnny Walker Green or Blue Label, pour in you and you won't care if your windshield washer is frozen, you'll be nice and warm. (For all those under legal drinking age wait until you are of legal drinking age before following this advice)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Oh by the way what about using a battery warmer wrap on washer bottle in the future that might help.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I wonder if during the summer somebody filled the squirts with plain water making anything you add diluted??
Yes, one of the best ways to prevent freezing at extremely cold weather as Jake buncha oh's suggested. I'm not too sure about the heater suggestion for fear that the plastic would melt but maybe not. Besides that will do nothing for the fluid in the line. Was the container itself frozen solid?? Or was it the lines especially near thenozzle heads. My wife used to have a problem with her car caused by the ice and snow melting in our semi heated garage, and then having the water which seeped into the nozzles freeze as soon as she pulled the car out. The fix was to automatically use the squirts as soon as she started the car to purge the nozzle heads of melted snow (water). The Monte Carlo with it's squirts on the wiper arm were more prone to freezing that the R/T's.
Maybe wrapping the resovoir with insulation would help.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't think the battery warmer gets that hot. But the lines and the nozzles are a different story. If the liquid in the bottle is warm enough that should unfreeze the rest of it, when cycled on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts