DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 Intrepid 3.3L engine is to go in for the big E-test tomorrow. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen because my stupid jerked off Check Engine Light came on again. The code that it came up with is *21 which is an oxygen censor but it doesn't inform you of which one. There are two ahead of the Catilactic Converter and there is one behind the converter, how am I suppose to know which one too change without it costing me a fortune? Once you put on the one censor you cannot take it back for a refund. The 2 censors on the front are $102.00 including tax, the one that is behind the Cadilactic Converter is $157.00 without the tax. I plan on replacing every one of them eventially but I don't have that kind of money to fork out all at one time. Can anyone help please?

Thank you
Norma Jean

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I'm so glad that we dont have an E-Test. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but thats alot of money to replace a sensor that may not even be the right one.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
or when you take it in for the etest and fail.......they can tell you which sensor

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you don't have the money, I'd recommend replacing the front ones first.

This probably applies to LH's too but I'll share my experience on O2's from my other car.

My 4.6L V8 Tbird has 4 sensors. Just like Intrepids, 1 in front of each convertor. I also have 2 after each convertor.
The front 2 are for the computer to read the air/fuel mixture. The 2 rears are only used to compare front 2 to rear 2. This tells the condition of the catalytic convertor itself.

On a 1996 I wouldn't complain about replacing the 10 year old sensors regardless of condition.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
yes they are expensive. there are 2 in the front and 1 or 2 in the back. the code reader will tell u which one is shot. pepboys autozone will help u out on which one is dead. price is a bit steep. I paid 170 bucks for 1 with install and tax.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Wow........I've got 4 brand new O2 sensors just sitting here..........I had no idea they were worth so much :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mghtymouse39 said:
My 1996 Intrepid 3.3L engine is to go in for the big E-test tomorrow. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen because my stupid jerked off Check Engine Light came on again. The code that it came up with is *21 which is an oxygen censor but it doesn't inform you of which one. There are two ahead of the Catilactic Converter and there is one behind the converter, how am I suppose to know which one too change without it costing me a fortune? Once you put on the one censor you cannot take it back for a refund. The 2 censors on the front are $102.00 including tax, the one that is behind the Cadilactic Converter is $157.00 without the tax. I plan on replacing every one of them eventially but I don't have that kind of money to fork out all at one time. Can anyone help please?

Thank you
Norma Jean

Well thank you all for your input, I think I will replace the front 2 first as I said I already have 1 and hopefully I only have to replace the one at this time. And I'm not complaining about replacing them, I just can't afford to do them all at once. :icon_cry: Wish I could then I could concentrate on the other small problems that are wrong with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts