DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI guys, i had a few inquiries about my fog light retro on my trep. Theres a how to that i made up so its nothing secret LOL...

IF anybody wants me to do a set for them i can do it for 100$ USD and you also need to cover the shipping both ways.

That would include the fog projectors, bezels, bezel work, glue, labour and the rear cap. So at the end of the day, you would remove ur fog lights and replace them with the new capsules, same plugs and all. No vehicle modification is required.

I just need you to send me your current fogs or a new set, whatever you prefer and everything will be done for you. You can of course do it your self if you wish to purchase the parts on ur own. (link to how to is in my sig below)

All stock function in terms of aiming will be retained, they do not condense since they are sealed in the back with the original cap. They will be turned on for about 3 hrs to burn off any glues from the bezel and rear of the bowl so they are ready to run when u get them.

Low beam HIDS retros will soon be available with a choice of projectors from the hella e55(single/bi), valeo d1s, to the stanley bixenon TL.

This is the final product.

stock

retrofitted

Thanks for looking,

Ciprian
Linuxglobal labs

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Is that pic above with HIDs or regular bulbs? I just removed the reflectors in my fogs and kinda like the way the light spreads out so I'm on the fence about this but I'm definitely interested inthe low beam conversion and I'm going to be looking forward to that! Once you get pics of yours with the lows & fogs with projectors I want to see how they look and maybe I will go with both.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
i'd just like a set of D2s projectors personally.. or hell.. just to borrow one for sizing purposes..

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The low beam retros would start at about 700$ without headlights, thats with basic low beam projectors. Bixenon Tls would be the most expensive since the housing needs to be redesigned

ie mine

Before

After (notice the bulge on the right side... fiberglass headlight backing

Low beam with small projectors is easier so 700$ should cover the electronics and all brand new from hidplanet.com. (new ballasts, new bulbs, new projectors (e46 ECE).

to answer the rest,

00r/t.mopar.muscle,
above pic is with 55W osram h3 bulbs. I dont remember if the oem fogs were dimmer since i would need to compare with someone that has stock fogs (ie side by side). I think the projectors are dimmer by a bit but certainly wider, they are wider than the low beams LOL.... you can tell when u turn them on with lows, the sides light up really well. I should get a few comparison pics at a trep meet. I wanna get my retro done by then, The TL will be badass on the intrepid.

Veeb0rg,
check this link for d2s projectors
http://www.hidplanet.com/bosch.html

D76G12,
i want to redo my fogs since im going to cut out the battery box on the passenger side to fit a d2s hid kit in the fogs. I just havent found any good looking fog lights to trade my current ones for. Myu car is a 2002 and the fogs still look like new, no yellowing or road damage like ive seen on other treps the same age. I drive it rarely tho and its never in the sun so that may be why.

Ive never seen them on this site either, if someone wants to sell me some i would definitely buy them and sell them as a retroed set. That would be better i guess, so we can just swap. I just dont know if the condition will be sustained after the swap. Its like those propane tanks that you could exchange, there were some bad and some good (exterior condition).

Thanks,

Ciprian
Linuxglobal labs

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
linuxglobal said:
I just dont know if the condition will be sustained after the swap. Its like those propane tanks that you could exchange, there were some bad and some good (exterior condition).
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. I guess it would be doable to drive w/out fog lights for a couple of weeks as long as the plugs are taped up ...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D76G12 said:
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. I guess it would be doable to drive w/out fog lights for a couple of weeks as long as the plugs are taped up ...
actually now that i think of it. The fogs come apart and i would really just need the inner reflector and not the entire unit. I have to extend the back cover as well. IT would be great if i could find a distributor of just the fog backing so i can just mail the new backing and inner piece of the fog.

That said, if you dont know how to take apart the 2nd gen fogs you can damage the attachment points to the housing.

I think with shipping factored in you would drive without fogs for about 3 weeks LOL...

The best solution is to have 2 sets of fogs, 1 good set and the 2nd doesnt matter. Mail me the really good set and just have the cheap set on there. Maybe that would be a good idea to pass around LOL.. pass around the beat up set HEHE.... (the loaner)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I could live without fogs for 3 weeks. I haven't used them for the past month anyway becasue one was burnt out until a few days ago!

Those fogs look really good for regular halogen bulbs. I just removed my reflectors and added a set of 55w luminics JDM yellow bulbs and i like the way they look. I'm not totally thrilled with how I have a floodlight kind of effect in front of my car because it seems like I have alot of wasted light to the sides of the car. I had to remove the reflectors because they turned black with the 55w bulbs I had so they were just heat sinks and not reflecting like they should. Let me see if I understand correctly-with the projector fogs the light spreads out more than the stock beams so its not quite as bright, but the light spreads out where it hits in the distance with a defined cutoff instead of just the spray of light I have close to the bumper now with no reflectors. Sorry if thats hard to understand but its kinda hard to describe what I'm thinkin! I'm looking for a good balance between stock with reflectors & stock without, which I think the projectors might offer. Sorry for all the questions but I'm still trying to understand the whole way projectors work.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
projectors use a lens to refract the light from a bowl to an envenly distibuted beam. This allows them to produce a wide beam. Imagine a garden hose with a jet setting and a shower setting. The shower setting is like a projector beam.

Maybe these pic will help.

Notice how the fog is wider than the low beam.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
So pretty much I'll have the benefit of the light being spread out where it hits whatever is ahead of me in the distance without the spray I have directly in front of my car now with no reflectors. In other words, it won't spread out directly in front of the car but rather it will stay as a beam close to the car and then spread out at a distance so all available light is lighting up in the distance where I need it instead of right in front where it is useless. Is that kinda correct??

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not really correct.

The point of fogs is to light up the road in front of you, ie in front of the car. Its called foreground light, so fogs will light up about 10-20 feet from the bumper. They have a wide beam with a well defined cutoff unlike oem fogs.

They are below the low beam aim so they will not shine past the low beams, its really hard to explain the details of it. The swap from oem to projectors gives you a defined cutoff and a wider beam, same distance of illumination, greater width.

I dont know how projectors compare to ur modified fogs, i think the reflector removal mod is the dumbest idea ever, it turns ur fogs into high beams blinding other drivers. I really recommend against removing the oem reflector.

Projectors have all of that built into the cutoff shield so glare is limited.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Ok, thats kinda what I was thinking. With the reflector removed, the light is more spread out on the road ahead than stock which I like, but the light spreads out to each side of the bumper directly in front of the car which is a waste of the available light. Everybody else seems to like the fogs with the reflector removed. To me, it seems like another set of headlights mounted lower and that seems to defeat the purpose of fog lights. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the first time that I replaced my bubs that the 55w get too hot. I turned the inside of the reflector black, so it just acted liek a heatsink and didn't reflect the light which made the whole assembly get really hot and it also greatly reduced the light output. Removing it pretty much became mandatory. My mom has HID projectors in her Maxima so I know what the projectors look like for headlights, I'm just trying to figure out how the fogs will look. From what I'm thinking, the projectors seem like they might give me the better light coverage 15-20 ahead of me on the road, without the light spreading out to the sides of the bumper. I've only driven my car once with the reflectors removed and I was lighting up overhead highway signs with them so I'm thinking they're probably blinding other drivers because they're also spreading out too high vertically. With the projectors I think Iwill be able to have a defined cutoff so the beam is spread out on the road without shining too high and hitting other cars. I think my mom has non HID projector fogs she jsut never uses them. When it gets dark I'm gonna take it for a ride to see if I can understand things better. Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have ur moms maxima fogs as well. They are pretty much the same. Once you turn them on u will see what i was talking about earier. The max has them inside the headlight so its not really the same as the intrepid but you will have a general idea. Also make sure u turn the hid off LOL otherwise its pointless.

If you want i have some spare reflectors from a fog retro, i can mail them to if you cover shipping. They are brand new so no black parts or anything on the little reflector things. They were used with stock 35W fogs.

Unless u're thinking about projector fogs in the near future, in which case u wont need bulb reflectors anymore LOL.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
btw this is ur mom's maxima fog beam... well modified shield and lens spacing for a colourful cutoff but anyways u get the idea

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Unfortunately, some genius designer at Nissan decided that you can only use the foglights with the HIDs on. I'm still going to go out when its dark to see if I can kinda get the idea. I appreciate the offer on the reflectors, but I just spend $30 bucks on the luminics yellow bulbs and I really want to use them but they're 55w so I think my only choice is either projectors or no reflector. By the time I buy new bulbs I'll have spent $30 more and I'll still have the crappy stock setup so I think its worth the extra to just get the projectors. Honestly, I really don't like the no reflector idea so I think I'm going to go with the projectors. I'm thinking they'll be pretty kickass with the yellow bulbs-what do you think?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
let the yellow pics roll

jeromes intrepid with the same projectors, blacked out

I think they look good in yellow too. With hid projectors they will have that lexus look to them HEHE....

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Let me know if I saw everything correctly. The 1st picture below is what it looks like now with the yellow bulbs and no reflectors. The area I outlined in red is where it looked like the maxima fog's light was when parked in the same spot. The top line was a flat cutoof of the light. It was hard to tell with the bright lowbeams on but thats what it looked like. Also, if you look at the picture you can see 2 bright spots towards the middle. The maxima's light was uniform across the whole width. In the second pic, you can see where there is alot of light shining towards the side of the bumper, due to the fact that the lenses face towards the sides and there is nothing to keep the light going straight ahead. I'm beginning to see why they put reflectors in in the first place-LOL!!! My dad's ram has no reflectors but the lights are flat in the front and have a strange pattern in the center of the lens which I assume helps to focus the beam. There is no light directly in front of the car where I want it. It looked like the maxima didn't have this light to the sides but the ground was lit up from just in front of the bumper up to the point where the lows hit the road. This is pretty much exactly what I want. Do I understand correctly now??

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yup u got it. also dont forget the maxima hid has a lot of foreground. But in general the fogs should be lighting up the area in front of the car before the lows.

Your dads ram probably has a bulb with ceramic on the tip to prevent this excessive glaring. (plus a center diffusion lens)

ie

I have enough parts to do 2 sets as of today. So let me know if you want to get your fogs done.

Thanks,
Ciprian

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Yes, Im in, But Will have start saving up, since I burned a hole in my pocket, for my struts etc..., So once I get up and running good again, But linux , im on the list dude!, ;), Hey i wanted to know, You can remove the yellow reflectors off of the headlights when at the time of modding for projection, is that so possible?.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts