DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my way home from napa auto parts for some automotive paint so i can finally paint my beauty i stop by a local salvation army store cuz my wifes sister is the manager so just checkin on some inventory.....picked up a set of surround sound speakers and then when i look out the front door BAMMM!!!! some guy with a ford e250 econoline van decided to back up into my car.....so now the headlight bracket is more broken than it already was and my lights are messed up...not including the hood is a bit tweaked lucky i got an extra one but i'll let the insurance company handle the parts since not many people ship to hawaii....:soapbox:

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Actually, Id take a For the Win and have them go ahead and repaint the hood and bumper for you. lol

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats true....the only thing i'm glad about is i have an extra hood from my parts car but the headlights and brackets are what need to be replaced

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey cdm i went with ur choice of paint color dark mettalic charcoal grey

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the latest news from the insurance company....they told me to look up the kbb on the car and if the damage on the hood and the repair alone cost more than the kbb on the car then they are claiming it totaled....so sad today hehe

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm just gonna tellum i have an extra hood just pay for the rest of the damaged lights and what not i'm paint the car myself

·
Registered
738 Posts
Do what I did once with a similar situation.
Get the blue book value for the car, then get repair quotes for the car. Give them the estimates that are below the value of the car, and then just wait for the check. When the check arrives, fix the damage yourself and pocket the extra money.

I actually ended up making a profit over what I had paid for the car in the first place.
Cost of the car from a friend was $1,000, blue book value was $2,000, check to repair damage was $1,500. The actual repair cost doing the work myself was $300.00

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
^^Technically illegal, but hey, why not

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
its not illegal if the insurance company tells u to do the same lol
Actually it is illegal. If the insurance company pays you a certain amount for fixing the car (Say $1000) and it really only costs $300, then legally, you are supposed to return the other $700. Its just like with student loans. If you only use $500 out of your $1000, then you can't go use the other $500 to pay for a big screen TV. You have to use it for expenses, not purchases. So fixing a car, paying a utility bill, etc is fine. But paying off your credit card past the cost of school expenses that may be on there is a big no no.

A guy in my class is being investigated for fraud right now b/c he went out and got student loans, then used it to buy a crotch rocket. But thats a different topic, and only an analogy.

AFAIK, the law might be different in your state.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well all the expenses that were getting from the insurance company is going all to the restore of the car i would hate for them to just claim it totaled i just bought the paint for it we told them that were just cashing out and repairing the car ourselves.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts