DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just bought a bottle of SUPER 104+ octance boost just to see if it would do anything for me. i usually run 93 octane on my 97 3.5L. Has anyone used similar products and have any info on them? how they work, if they work, harmful effects?
so far the only thing i've noticed is that the engine revvs faster, haven't gotten to do a 0-60 or top speed test.
i'm thinking if i see some improvement in performance in the 2 weeks it's supposed to last, i'll see about going a month using it on every fillup and see what else happens.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
you may find in your manual (as i have found in mine) that it is actually bad to run higher octane than whatever is recommended. The engine was designed specifically to run at that octane level. This is a common mistake made by a lot of people, that think a higher octane will boost performance, when in reality it may just do more harm than good.

·
9,861 Posts
Runing high octane will not harm anything, as long as its not too high.

Octane boosters usually dont boost the octane that much anyways.

Just look for a gas station that has race gas. Dont run pure race gas though. Thats too high.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Don't put in too much race gas as your timing is not set up for it and could lead to catastrophic results.

Rather, just don't put race gas in your car cause you think it's going to make you go faster.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well i really want to see if it improves my mpg... there is a station near the airport here that sells 108 octane gas... is there anything i have to look for not to put into the engine? like a specific chemical?

supposedly the additive i bought increases up to 10 octane points and is supposed to clean fuel system components with continued use for a month... and it wasn't a huge expense and i can probably find a better deal online.

·
Registered
564 Posts
when I have used them Outlaw and such I have seen ZERO gain in anything..except money spent

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm using something called super 104+... not outlaw... although i have seen outlaw advertised on speed channel etc... i've never seen the stuff i bought anywhere... i looked on the shelf at the store and it seemed like the best choice between what was there... it was sitting next to the headlight replacements and i thought... $50 for silverstars... or $5 for a possible performance increase... as i looked into my wallet i chose the $5 ;-)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Kenundrum said:
i'm using something called super 104+... not outlaw... although i have seen outlaw advertised on speed channel etc... i've never seen the stuff i bought anywhere... i looked on the shelf at the store and it seemed like the best choice between what was there... it was sitting next to the headlight replacements and i thought... $50 for silverstars... or $5 for a possible performance increase... as i looked into my wallet i chose the $5 ;-)
Should have bought the silverstars. They rule!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd only run higher octane gas for turbos!
I needed it for my old turbo, but using it for anyting else, is just a waste of money. Thats my $.02

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've always thought of using octane booster, but I'll probably will never use it. , because the general consensus is that it will not do much for the car anway. I just use concentrated fuel injector cleaner at every oil change, usually STP.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
'zactly...Higher octane isn't going to get you any improvement in today's motors... Conputer contolled vehicles are not affected by octane. In the "old days" of mechanical timing, distributors, spark advance devices and stuff...higher octane could get you more power because you could run more advance on the timing.... Today, the computers take over all that stuff. So...you'll just be tossing you $$ out the tailpipe...

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's is a waste to run any octane boost in a car unless you have higher timing, higher compression, nitrous or are blown.

You can run race gas if you want and it won't hurt anything either, but you won't notice a difference.

93 octane is way more than enough for an Intrepid.

Your money would have been better spent on some injector cleaner instead of the octane boost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts