DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally purchased an Intrepid in February.
A 2000 ES 3.2 (SILVER)

So far I only have 2 problems.

At least 2 out of 3 gas pumps I try to fill up at won't run more than a few seconds without cutting off from back pressure. One attendant became "indignant" lol saying I shouldn't be trying to top off or it would overflow and catch on fire. She didn't believe me until I showed her I was under half a tank full. Almost all of the pumps I go to initially cut off after half a gallon. Then I can return to filling without more interruptions. The rest just won't let me do more then a few cents. I feel certain it has to do with insufficient venting from the tank but I can't determine how I can give it any ventilation. The filler area doesnt seem to have much if any venting in it.

Thanks for all the sage from those who helped me in deciding to purchase what seems to be the best vehicle purchase I've made in 25 years.
Kin

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey there...I didn't have problems on initial filling, but I did have a problem with my tank overflowing...when I first bought my 2000 r/t I filled it up and u know how u usually use the little doo-hickey to let it fill while u clean the windows, well, it overflowed about a gallon on the ground...at first I just figured it was the gas pump was broken or something...then I filled up the second time, it did it again...so the third time I decided to stand there and pump it by hand and it did it AGAIN...so I took it in to the dealership where I bought it and they wanted $600 to take the gas tank off to diagnose the problem...well, I didn't give it to them and I just started filling it 1/2 way...that sucked cuz I couldn't go very far without a full tank, so I just started putting in 12 gallons...or so and lately, I have been just letting it fill up and haven't had that problem again...I took it to another dealership where I bought my PT cruiser from and they looked at it and said there is a pressure vent on top of the tank that pops up to release pressure in the event of an "over-fume" as they called it...basically the guy said that in the summer, it gets really hot and the car sits in the sun all day and the gas in the tank gets heated and vaporizes somewhat and it causes an overflow of vapor and that little pop-up plug is supposed to vent that off to keep from explosions...or something like that...so maybe yours isn't working or something or perhaps it has to do with your overflow tube?????? I am not a master fix-it guy like some of the guys on here, so just wait, and someone will help u out! This site is all about helping everyone....it rules!

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is a TSB for the slow fueling problem. It's not a warranty issue, so you would pay for the repair. Some people also have been able to just pull the fuel nozzle out a little bit to make it fill better. If you live in California, I know that the nozzle has to be in all the way or they won't pump at all. Here's a link to another thread on the subject:

Fueling problem

TSB Link

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Simple fix ready

I have the same problem it cost no money and it's safe

Just put the nozzle about 1/2 to 3/4th down into the gas fill hole (what ever it's called). And guess what you can fill your tank and the nozzle will still stop when it's supposed to.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have that problem to, you can just do it like how I do it, instead of squeezing the handle completely, squeezing it to about halfway or 3/4s usually keeps the pump from cutting off on me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts