DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one can tell me the experience of using fuel injiector clearner which goes into gas tank? I had a bad experience after using it, i add it to my preivous Ford Lincoln, and car was dead, always mis fire at trafic light. I wanna clean my intrepid injector now. Thanx

·
Registered
217 Posts
From some research I did about a year ago I found Chevron Techron to be rated one of the best however if you read your manual it states NOT TO ADD ANY ADDITIVES. I have used this as well as Outlaw as a maintenance proceedure and have had no bad experiences. If your injectors are really bad a complete flush will run you about $100.00 as well as a thorough throttle body cleaning.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I second the use of Chevron Techron. I use it in all 3 cars, (91 POS Tempo, 92 Caravan 3.3L, and 95 LHS) but you should add it to a empty tank when you are filling it so it mixes properly. I also do an in place throttle body cleaning each oil change (a little difficult on the LHS but doable) and have no idle problems. You shouldn't need an injector cleaning at the dealer if you use brand name gas and add some cleaner to the tank a few times a year. The dealer's like to recommend non-needed services to pump-up the profits. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I, too, am a firm believer in adding a bottle of injector cleaner to a full tank every time I change my oil, and have been doing so for many years. Usually I use STP but have used other brands as well. Recently, I failed to do so in my Stratus for a few oil changes, and guess what happened this summer? My check engine light came on and directed me to a possible fuel injector malfunction. One tankfull later, with injector cleaner in it, the light stopped coming on and all is well with the world. Some of my cars have logged in well over 150,000 miles and with no injector problem except one time that turned out to be due to a wiring problem to the injector.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guyes. I will add it.

I removed the throttle body and clean it myself, pretty easy job. but dont know 3.5L, may be a little harder.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've used STP regularly on my old 1990 Dodge Spirit for years at every oil change with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts