DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wifes car started leaking fuel under the hood. After some time I finally tracked it down to a fuel line that somehow has developed a pinhole and thefuel was just shooting out. I have removed all I think I need to so that I can have decent access to it so that I can replace it. My question is how do I remove it. I see what looks like a release section but I am not to sure how to do it and I dont want to break anything and make the problem worse. Another question is once I do remove that clip do I replace the line all the way back to the tank or is it more of a splice type fix. I searched for replacement parts and have only found a few parts but the pics they show dont tell me much. Here are some pics of what I am talking about. The line with the green on it is the one Im talking about. There are alot of pics but I want you to be able to see exactly the place I am talking about. IT is the line that comes in under the throttle body and goes to a T line after the spot where it connects with the green fitting. I am assumming it is a high pressure fitting but I would rather get advice before trying to just remove it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
pinch the green tabs together and it pulls apart. when i did my engine conversion, i accidentally collapsed the metal fuel line, so what i did was cut the pipe (use a pipe cutter) and clamp rubber fuel-grade hose over the line. hasn't been a problem for 4 years now.

is it the metal line or plastic that is leaking?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That is the quick release fitting.
There is a plier like tool that is made for easy disconnecting but I've always
used my fingers and lots of cussing.
It's a difficult area to get into, get a hold of and apply enough pressure to get it to release .

You can turn that fitting left to right and you can move it forward and backwards.

The idea is to press both green tabs together at the same time and then pull the fitting off of the
metal line.

That plastic quick connect is molded to the metal line that runs all the way back under the
rear door where it has another quick connect.
Note also that it is wedged into a retaining block just under the steering rack (before it goes down
under the car).

You might practice on the rear quick connect first to get used to how they work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay, I managed to get the entire line out of the car after some cussing and busted knuckles...LOL... Heres my question. It is leaking from the plastic part. Can I just buy some high pressure fuel line and cut out the old piece and clamp it in there or do I need to replace the entire damn thing? Also any clue how much the line would cost if I did have to replace the entire thing? It looks like the pipe andconnector at the end are flared so couldnt I just cut that off and clamp a new piece in?

·
Registered
715 Posts
IIRC, i just replaced the plastic piece with fuel grade rubber hose from the connector to the metal pipe. you should be able to cut the plastic off with a razor blade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC, i just replaced the plastic piece with fuel grade rubber hose from the connector to the metal pipe. you should be able to cut the plastic off with a razor blade.
I cut off the plastic hose from the connector and the metal line no problem. When I called the dealer they told me that it is a bad idea to just replace the plastic hose. I am sure that they are justy trying to get me to buy their part but damn 50 bucks compared to like 5 or 10.. Not sure what to do. I think that the splice method would work great but I really dont want to have to take all the crap apart again if it doesnt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
personally i would buy the factory part

·
Registered
715 Posts
I cut off the plastic hose from the connector and the metal line no problem. When I called the dealer they told me that it is a bad idea to just replace the plastic hose. I am sure that they are justy trying to get me to buy their part but damn 50 bucks compared to like 5 or 10.. Not sure what to do. I think that the splice method would work great but I really dont want to have to take all the crap apart again if it doesnt.
as long as its fuel grade hose (anything else will deteriorate) you'll be fine. like i said, i did the same thing 4 years ago and no problem whatsoever. also, make sure you use hose clamps, might be obvious but i figured i should say that.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
So I am at this very same point. Same scenario as the OP today. After troubleshooting and taking a bunch of stuff out of the way, I looked down at that same plastic hose with goggles and a flashlight. I had a helper turn on the ignition and fire up the fuel pump. Fuel was squirting from the same bend as the OP.

I just checked on line and the cost of the replacement fuel line assembly isn't clear. Because of that I am leaning heavily towards cutting out the plastic hose out as mentioned above and replacing it with a suitable flexible hose and hose clamps.

Anyone know what ID hose I would need for this?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Just an FYI you can buy fuel injection hose (high pressure stuff) by teh foot from auto parts tores. Costs $7-8 per foot.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Thanks Kimura. I figured I could. I meant to measure the hardline OD before I went to work this morning, but didn't.

Fuel line is p/n 4581134AC (2004 parts manual). I will call my local dealer and see what the price is. If it's $50 and available in a day or two, I'll prob
ably get that. Probably add some sort of sleeve to the plastic part to prevent any potential rubbing against the hose that is next to it

***EDIT 4581134AC is not the long piece pictured just below. The part below is p/n 5083036AA currently listing for over $100

part number 4581134AC is a 2-1/2ft long piece of plastic tubing that connects the fuel pump to the steel end of the line in the picture

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Part was $74 and available tomorrow, so I bought it. Might have fixed it right with some flexible fuel line and clamps, but I know it will be fixed right with the factory part.

*EDIT - I ordered the wrong part unfortunately. But figured out the right part ( #s above)

·
Registered
17 Posts
2002 intrepid fuel leak

Thanks for the information and the pictures guys. It was a great help to me when I found out I had a leak and could not see it. I could not even find how the fuel lines are routed in the factory service manual which I have on my hard drive.
After I got the whole fuel line out I opted for the fix with a piece of rubber fuel hose and a couple of hose clamps to replace the plastic hose portion which did not looked damaged but had a pinhole.
From there it was down hill.
To protect the rubber hose from rubbing and chafing I took a couple of inch of a larger hose , cut it lengthwise and installed it around the new fuel hose where it rubbed against an electrical wire harness. One could give the same treatment to the wire harness for good measure.
I could not have done it without the pictures, they are still like a thousand words.:thankyou:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad it was ably to help u out bro. It drove me crazy trying to figure it out...lol. by the way, still no leak with the hose clamp method ;-)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is a picture of my fix with the protective piece of hose around the fuel line, which lead to the green quick disconnect. This view is from passenger side to driver side, with engine on the right and firewall to the left.
Bracket with empty bolt hole is at center below the throttle body.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have developed a leak myself, in the same area. so what size rubber high pressure fuel line do i need to replace the plastic?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Intrepid Gas Leak

I have developed a leak myself, in the same area. so what size rubber high pressure fuel line do i need to replace the plastic?
The size I bought at Autozone was 7.9mm; one foot is plenty, and two hose clamps.
As with all rubber parts, I rub them with silicon grease to prevent drying and cracking.
I highly recommend this.
The procedure for a 2002 intrepid is:
1 take black caps off windshield wiper mounting hole.
2 take off windshield wipers, one nut each.
3 Take plastic covers through which windshield wipers go off.
4 Take steel cross member off.
5 Take air intake plenum off.
6 Take throttle body off. (Might as well clean this too)
7 Reach down to gas line quick disconnect and separate by squeezing green plastic "ears" in and pull connectors apart. (It is easier to practice this at the other end below the gas tank.)
Gas will not run out, I guess because the pump is not running.
8 Along the gas line are pipe holders, each with 1 bolt holding it to the floor.
undo all of them and wiggle the gas line out completely.
9 With utility knife cut off the black plastic hose which is shrunk on the metal parts.
10 Install rubber hose, appropriate for gasoline injector systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you all for this awesome thread, just fixed my leaking fuel line with a fuel grade hose.

The broken plastic pipe:

After installing the fuel line:

I used a normal fuel line, since I couldn't fine one for fuel injection. So i will keep an eye on it.

However, at autozone I found that they do have fuel injection hoses after I was done with the installation and put everything back :banghead::banghead:
So don't just rely on the people who works there, go and search for yourself.

BTW, i went to pepboys, advanced autoparts and autozone, they all say that they don't have something for high pressure of fuel injection, but it was there on the shelf at autozone!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts