DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is taking longer and longer to start these days.
I replaced the fuel filter over the weekend, and the car
started smoothly for a few days, but then went back to
the same old thing. I takes about 4-5 seconds to start.
Could the fuel pump be causing this? Could the
computer cause this too?

Reactions: wrench

·
Registered
462 Posts
flowersc said:
The car is taking longer and longer to start these days.
I replaced the fuel filter over the weekend, and the car
started smoothly for a few days, but then went back to
the same old thing. I takes about 4-5 seconds to start.
Could the fuel pump be causing this? Could the
computer cause this too?
Turn the key to the run position, not start. Leave it that way for 5 seconds. Turn the key off and then try to start it. If it starts quickly, more then likely you have low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have actually done that, and it does
start up a bit sooner. What is that all about?
I have checked all of the lines, and I very recently
replaced the pressure regulator. Perhaps the
fuel pump is on the way out?

·
Registered
462 Posts
flowersc said:
I have actually done that, and it does
start up a bit sooner. What is that all about?
I have checked all of the lines, and I very recently
replaced the pressure regulator. Perhaps the
fuel pump is on the way out?
When you do that it allow the pump to build pressure before you try to start it. The best way to find out is to pressure test the system.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind replacing the pump. Have you done this? It doesn't look to be that
difficult.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have not done one on an Intrpid. Make sure that it is the problem though. A fuel pump is not cheap.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
RCE2WIN said:
Get a fuel pressure guage on the line and see what psi you're getting up to the injectors. The 3.5's have a nipple right up near the thermostat housing where you can hook up the guage. Not sure where it's at for the 3.3's.
it's in the middle of the drivers side section of fuel rail on the 3.3

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tested pressure yet, but there must be an issue with it. The car will act like it
is going to stall sometimes, when I come to a stop. The rpm needle dips way down and the car shudders. Should I just bypass the pressure test and get a new pump?
Whenever I fill the car up completely, I get a small leak. The stains indicate that it is
coming from the front of the gas tank, and looks like it is coming from above. Perhaps the fuel sender is leaking?? I know that there is a gasket with the retainer clamp on the fuel pump. I will have to check this out soon.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, new stuff. Checked the fuel pressue via the test port last night. There was nothing coming out, except a very slight hissing. This was with the car shut off, and with the key turned to the on position but without the car running.
I replaced the 10 fuel pump fuse with a 15 last night, and the car started right up. I had fuel spraying out of the test port. No more slight stall upon breaking to 10 mph or so. Could anybody explain this? And I swear, my lights seem brighter too. What is
this all about? Am I not getting voltage where it needs to go? Is it being held up
somewhere? This 15 fuse is the only variation within the bunch. I am not
using a different amperage fuse anywhere else on the car.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I could not tell you why that is doing what it is. You need to check the fuel pressure with the car in the run position. If it is good, then tape the gauge to the windshield and drive the car. If the pressure drops when you stomp on the gas then the pump is bad. Your pump should hold pressure for a few minutes after you shut the car off.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I put the 15 amp fuse in there, you could hear the pump prime up
really quickly, and loudly. After that, there was plenty of fuel squirting from the
test port. Still, I will check it while it is running, and afterwards
to see what it has for pressure.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
flowersc said:
Ok, new stuff. Checked the fuel pressue via the test port last night. There was nothing coming out, except a very slight hissing. This was with the car shut off, and with the key turned to the on position but without the car running.
I replaced the 10 fuel pump fuse with a 15 last night, and the car started right up. I had fuel spraying out of the test port. No more slight stall upon breaking to 10 mph or so. Could anybody explain this? And I swear, my lights seem brighter too. What is
this all about? Am I not getting voltage where it needs to go? Is it being held up
somewhere? This 15 fuse is the only variation within the bunch. I am not
using a different amperage fuse anywhere else on the car.
Replacing a fuse with a higher rating is very dangerous with any circuit and could be deadly in a fuel system. if the 10 amp was blown out and you replace it with another 10 amp that blows out right away, it means you have bad wiring or pump motor. if you put a 15 amp fuse in and you have a faulty pump motor it could spark inside tank and it'll be bye bye trep, bye bye flowersc, and bye bye any bystanders. put a new 10 amp in there , if it blows out, then you need to find out why.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The pump isn't that hard to replace. I had to pull my pump to replace the level sending unit on it. The access panel in the trunk made it fairly easy to do. The only thing I was worried about was static of climbing in and out of the trunk. I would check with a junkyard and see what it would cost for a replacement one if that is still what you expect it to be. I think it sounds like your fuel pump is getting weak, but definately put a 10 amp fuse back into it! Or at least check the fuse panel door or owners manual to see what the fuse is supposed to be there.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will put the 10 amp back in there. It wasn't blowing the fuses at all. All I am
saying is that the sound of the pump priming upon key-on was very obvious (sound).
I don't think it has made a difference though. And I agree, the pump is getting weak.

·
Registered
462 Posts
flowersc said:
I will put the 10 amp back in there. It wasn't blowing the fuses at all. All I am
saying is that the sound of the pump priming upon key-on was very obvious (sound).
I don't think it has made a difference though. And I agree, the pump is getting weak.
The fuel pump will not spark and blow up your car. It will dye and leave you stranded on the side of the road.
Do not buy a pump from a junk yard! It is an electrical part buy it new. I suggest staying away from Autozone also. I have replaced Autozone pumps that people have brought to me and had them not work. I charge them again to the pump again. It is not my fault that they bought a defetive pump. It happens on a lot of electrical parts. There are only a few places that I will get electrical parts from.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found plenty of fuel pumps in the area from salvage yards. The new ones are expensive!
Do you know if fuel pumps from newer Intrepids will work with my 97?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts