DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering what grade of gas does everybody use out there. I know the owners video says everyting works fine using an 87 octane fuel, but I'm wondering if it's better or worse to use premium? I haven't done my gas milage up yet for the last month, but I'm sure it will be interesting, all using 87 octane fuel. Considering I drove her down to New Orleans from Iowa and back and out to chicago and back this month. Plus, I had a question about ethanol... will that really eat up the fuel injectors?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am using 87. Seems to be running fine.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm not sure what the recommendation is for the 3.2L and 3.5L engines, but if you have the 2.7L, don't waste your money putting in anything other than 87 octane fuel. You won't see any real benefit. I know this because I experimented with the different fuel grades shortly after I bought my car. I saw no difference... even using premium (93 octane).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i've been driving down to the local airport and have been using jet fuel. burns clean, car runs fast.

valves? what valves? what about em?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Follow the owner's manual. IMHO, you are wasting money any other way.
For a regular vs. premium perspective, go to the "Car and Driver" web site...they just did a story on this subject. HTH.

·
980 Posts
Iuse the 87, would only use higher if I hear pinging (detonation)In the summer my Ram pings a little so I switch to middle grade once in awhile.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used 92 octane for almost a year, and recently switched to 87 octane. I havent noticed any degredation of performance what-so-ever. Seems to run maybe even a little better? Will be hitting the 1/4 mile again pretty soon, and I plan on using 87 octane to see if my track numbers are any different. I am guess they will be the same as they were with 92 octane, so I'll probably be saving my self the 2 bucks per tank extra that premium costs from now on.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
my 01 RT has 2.7 k on her and I tried a tank of 89 to see the difference in performance. Didn't see any, so I'll stick with 87.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
gas prices hit $.91 a gal cents for reg,in greenville SC today I had to wait for 35 min before i could fill up on the mid grade at $.97 cents a gal... Oh it was the same at all of the other gas stations on that road!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I run 87 in my R/T. My mechanic has been a close personal friend for about 15 years. I asked him about this when I first got the car. He says anything above 87 would be a waste, especially in a new engine. I tend to trust his opinion, since he's the one that has got to fix anything that goes wrong, and his time is free to me. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts