DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to drive the car home today, and tomorow I'm going to replace the rack. I got the steering rack today, with my discount it was $127.99. Yeah...its a remain. Not a crappy cardone like my power steering pumps were. Seems like I can only get a reman rack. A new one from dodge costs almost 700 bucks.....yeah right. I also got my inner tie rod bushings, intake plenum gasket and a new high pressue hose.

I was looking at a Haynes manual and it said something about a pedal travel sensor thing on the brake booster. thank god my car dosnt have that, must be for ABS only.

I also just spent about $400 on the sable. Four new tires, a new pass side axle and hub assembly.

Money..something I rarely have anymore...LOL.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good luck. It's really not that bad of an install. Just remember to lock the steering column all the way to one side or the other. the only dangerous thing is if you don't lock it and the steering wheel travels past it's normal limit then the book says the air bags can malfunction. Never seen it happen, but i could see how it could so I take the books advice.

Mike

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few questions glancing over my FSM. This pedal travel sensor. I don't see it on my brake booster. All I saw was the master cylinder and a line going to the intake plenum. It shows it in my FSM below the master cylinder. It's just a base model Intrepid. No ABS. Is that pedal travel sensor an ABS only thing?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

I've started the project. I took the intake plenum off for better access. I also removed some heater hoses. I couldnt lock the wheel to get easy acess to the roll pin, so I have the wheel held in place with the seat belt. Next step is to punch out the roll pin.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2:20 PM, I got the old rack out, and put the new one in. It's not bolted down yet, I still need to put the car back together. But I was able to reinstall the roll pin. What a PITA. I ended up damaging that plastic cover, but I'll fix that later. I need another break.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, its done! I still need to road test the car, but I bled the air out of the system. The rack seems to be working a lot better. It dosnt make popping noises or burning smells. I still need to roadtest the car. I'm guessing my aligment is going to be out of wack. I had to jack up the car and move the wheels to align the inner tie rod bolt holes.

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
yea the flippen roll pin is a *****.. I dont know who the genius was that thought of it, but he needs to be shot

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I aligned the car my self. The wheel is straight. looks like I'll be doing my outer tie rods again. Damn alignment places ****ed them up, they loose and the boots are torn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.