DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read a post on di.net regarding how our cars require 87 gas (and 89 is ok) but NO 93 lol

i've been using 93 for 2 weeks, but my car starts to lag. i changed back to 87 and now it runs smoothly. weird.....

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
silrturbo said:
i've read a post on di.net regarding how our cars require 87 gas (and 89 is ok) but NO 93 lol

i've been using 93 for 2 weeks, but my car starts to lag. i changed back to 87 and now it runs smoothly. weird.....
It's not funny at all. It's been long known that cars that aren't designed to run on 93 is just wasting money and robbing themselves of power. Google search does wonders.

·
Registered
207 Posts
when i put 10% Ethnol gas in my car in the summer time when its (90 to 100 degree days) it ****s up my car. It will die cause its not getting fuel but when i use Regular 87, it runs perfect. Werid!!!!

-jake-

O

·
0 Posts
I tried the same thing in March when I first bought the Trep. I figured it out after the first tankful and went back to 87.

I wonder if the Treps will work with E85, but I have wait a few months to find out when I com e back from duty.

To all A good night.

·
Registered
982 Posts
smc1377 said:
It's not funny at all. It's been long known that cars that aren't designed to run on 93 is just wasting money and robbing themselves of power. Google search does wonders.
Quite possibly the best marketing hoax in America!! By calling it "premium' and charging 10cents per gallon more the oil companies have created a the myth that it is better for your car, when the reality is that most cars run better and pollute less on 87 octane fuel. Few engines actually require 93 octane gas and most will perform worse with it. If you just like spending the extra money you can fill up with regular 87 octane and throw a handful of dimes in the parking lot at the gas station, this way your car will run better and the guy who is supposed to fill up the paper towel thing and the window washer buckets will do it more often so he can pick up all the money in the parking lot, This way you can at least get some benefit from the extra $ you spend!! :grinyes:

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Yea i've said it before as well. Using a higher octane on a newer car that is not designed for it does nothing. On a 3.5 i still use 89 only becasue our crs, computer wise etc is desigend for it. Sure i have used 97 but i try not to. its a $1 maybe $2 more on a full tanke its not that big of a deal. But some cars liek with turbbos, etc, ya need premium, it all goes into what you want. ANd most trepd unless they aer the FFV 3.3 will work on E85 but i wouldn'ty do a long term run on it. And as for ethanol get use to it, the 10% blend is gonna be around from now and probably. Which is ok , ehtanol runs better, burns, hotter, cleaner etc then methanol. Myabe it was just a fluke that yours ran crappy idunno, but who knows, people say there cars run better on 93 to so who knows

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I use 89 octane cuz my car can take advantage of it. Plus it has more pep with 89 vs 87. I read that the Special can use 93+ octane at WOT, but I don't know if thats true.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Our specials say they need 91+ but I usually do a half and half mix of 89 and 93... When I fill with 89, then when I hit 1/2 I refill with 93... Sometimes LOL

I used 87 and didnt notice a power loss but did notice a rough idle and lower gas mileage

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
There is a performance difference but it's so minor I'd not believe anyone can feel the difference.

I tested it at the drag strip years ago and found either to be within 1 tenth of a second. Guess what, the best time and mph came from 87 octane runs.

I do have a hard time believing lag or not running smoothly is fault of the 93 octane.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
OfficerVILLA said:
I wonder if the Treps will work with E85, but I have wait a few months to find out when I com e back from duty.
It won't and you could actually damage the car by using E85. "Flex Fuel" cars can use either regular gas or E85. I've posted some stuff on this a lot lately. Search for E85 and my name and you'll find some of my posts and links. There is so much "buzz" over this E85 because of the rising costs of petroleum. But what they fail to mention is the fact that most vehicles on the road today can't use this E85. they make it like its gonna solve everything overnight, when, in fact, its several years down the road. And for those who can't afford to buy a new car or a used "flex fuel" one, they are still stuck paying out the ass for gasoline.

I liken it to when cars ran on leaded gas. It took some time to, for the most part, get rid of all the cars that ran on leaded and get everybody driving cars running unleaded gas. This scenario isn't all that much different with E85. the entire fuel system has to be made from stronger components and things like engine gaskets and seals have to also be stronger. Ethanol is more corrosive than gas and E85 (which is 85% ethanol) can and eventually damage components on your car. Not to mention another drawback. Ethanol has less energy than gasoline, so you will immediately notice a drop in fuel economy and power. Also, since E85 is 105 octane, its highly probable the CEL will come on because the computer isn't programmed to burn it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
jfsram said:
I do have a hard time believing lag or not running smoothly is fault of the 93 octane.
We've had so many threads on this topic in the past, I'm not gonna go digging up all the research, but if your car is not designed to run on 93 octane, it DOES hurt performance. 93 Octane gasoline is designed for higher performance engines with high compression ratios. In order for these engines not to knock, they require a higher octane gas that will BURN SLOWER.

So in effect, by you using 93 octane gas, you aren't burning up all your gasoline in every detonation thus wasting gas and robbing yourself of power since you literally didn't get the most bang for your buck.

Seriously, like I said, a google search does wonders.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
We've had so many threads on this topic in the past, I'm not gonna go digging up all the research, but if your car is not designed to run on 93 octane, it DOES hurt performance. 93 Octane gasoline is designed for higher performance engines with high compression ratios. In order for these engines not to knock, they require a higher octane gas that will BURN SLOWER.

So in effect, by you using 93 octane gas, you aren't burning up all your gasoline in every detonation thus wasting gas and robbing yourself of power since you literally didn't get the most bang for your buck.

Seriously, like I said, a google search does wonders.
"Hits the nail on the head". right on the money. There is no benefit from using higher octane in an engine designed to run on lower octane. There is, however, exceptions. A higher mileage engine, that has some carbon built up over time, may need higher octane. The reason for this is simple, the added carbon in the combustion chamber effectively raises the compression ratio and it is not uncommon to start getting a pinging from it when staying with the regular gas its always been running.

Higher octane burns slower than lower octane. That's what octane is for, to resist combustion. A diesel engine for examle has a really high compression ratio, like 20:1. It doesn't use an ignition system other than glow plugs to warm things up. It works solely on compression and combustion. A gasoline engine on the other hand relies on an ignition source. On higher compression performance engines, its possible for pre-ignition to occur because of compression (before the spark event) and then you get problems. Its the increased octane that prevents this.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yes high octane burns slower and it not required for our cars. Agree 100%.

The part I don't see is it running poorly because you put in fuel that will "burn slower".

It does not burn slower, it resists detonation. In other words it will wait for the spark from the plug and resist combustion from compression.

Anyways read this part again, I agree our cars do not require high octane but I've tried several tanks of each and find no improvement in mileage and quarter mile time/mph were within 1 tenth of a second and less than 1 mph. Minor.
As for idle quality, smooth with 87, 91 or 94.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
jfsram said:
Yes high octane burns slower and it not required for our cars. Agree 100%.

The part I don't see is it running poorly because you put in fuel that will "burn slower".

It does not burn slower, it resists detonation. In other words it will wait for the spark from the plug and resist combustion from compression.

Anyways read this part again, I agree our cars do not require high octane but I've tried several tanks of each and find no improvement in mileage and quarter mile time/mph were within 1 tenth of a second and less than 1 mph. Minor.
As for idle quality, smooth with 87, 91 or 94.
Well, I'm not quite sure where the "burns slower" thing originated over the years. Its just one of the ways it was explained to me. I guess the correct way to state it is like you said, it resists detonation. I understand some of the concepts of what octane does even though I say it incorrectly (burns slower). I think that rose as a general explaination. Its a lot easier to explain "it burns slower" than "it resists detonation" to someone that has no idea what you mean. Because then the next question is "well, what is detonation?" and then you're in a all day seminar trying to explain the internal combustion engine!

I think one of the possibilities from using higher octane in drivetrain (I say drivetrain because the PCM and its programming have to be included in this) is the resistance to combustion and ignition. It leads to the possibility of a misfire from not completely combusting. And back to the "burns slower" thing. If that were true then you'd end up with a power loss if the burn isn't happening as quickly as lower octane. I don't know enough about the burning characteristics of one octane to another to really know whether it indeed burns slower, but I can understand the problems that it could lead to if it does in fact burn at a slower rate. Consider the fact that ignition and combustoin happen in fractions of a second, milliseconds. Faster at higher rpm's. And you know what an impact it has when the ignition timing is off by only a few degrees. Imagine what impact it has if the burn rate of 93 is just a millisecond or 2 longer than 87. And then, of course you have to multiply that many times over for every cylinder and every power stroke the motor runs through and now it starts add up to issues.

At idle, the engine really isn't under any load. Unlike running up a hill or stepping on it on the highway. I don't think you'd notice any real idling issues using higher or lower octane (depending on how high or how low). Its wehn you really start pushing it then you'll start to see problems. Idle quality isn't really a good measure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts