DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I check the fuses under the hood on a 97 Intrepid? They aren't the normal fuses, they are the bigger ones.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The best way to check a fuse is using a multimeter in continuity mode. A fuse can blow and not be visible...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm not too familiar with how cars work. I'm not a big car person, so you'll have to help me out and let me know what a multimeter is.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A multimeter is a useful tool for checking lots of different things, electrical and such. You would take the leads from the multimeter and place them on each end of the fuse. With the multimeter in continuity, the meter will show a very low reading (close to zero) when testing a good fuse, and will show a very high reading when testing a "blown" fuse. Here's a link to an inexpesive multimeter at Sears:

Multimeter

·
Registered
931 Posts
are you talking about a regular fuse but larger? like does it have a clear window? if its one of those then yes you can take a multimeter and set it up to test for ohms. theres 2 test you can do either a continuity test which will beep if there is a continous path between the 2 meter leads and there is a resistance test you can also use. if you are going to do resistance it will show OL if the fuse if no good and will show a number pretty close to 0 if it is good. if you need help setting it up let me know.

if it is not a clear fuse you are talking about then you have a relay which i can also tell you how to test. just let me know. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my main problem is that my gauges don't work. I've had this problem before, and I called the mechanic who fixed it last, and he said to check the fuses under the hood. I don't know which ones to check, since the diagram for the fusebox under the hood doesn't show anything to do with gauges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts