DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very sad and angered by what I read about what DCX is going to do with the LH platform in 2004 and beyond. I read that most if not all of the original Chrysler design elements (cab-forward, for example) will not be present in these future models, which I am sure will do wonders to reduce Chrysler's eye-catching styling to the one-quick-glance-and-you've-seen-it-all styling of Mercedes products.

WHY?!?!?!? If it wasn't crystal clear already, it certainly is now. Daimler-Benz didn't merge with Chrysler, they took it over. They show no respect, no respect at all. But then again, what can I expect? Most people who buy Mercedes' are stuck-up..with their noses too high in the air. The same goes for the company too. :mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I read the article about future changes to the LH cars with equal disgust. The first and second generation Intrepid is un-equaledin its class by anything on the road bar-none.

Dieter Zietch's (don't mind my spelling)comments about the "cab forward" design concept being dated is like saying cars with 4 wheels are dated.

I am still wanting someone to tell me a benefit of this merger.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by rt_bob:

I am still wanting someone to tell me a benefit of this merger.
We can say that we own German cars. Oh wait. You wanted a benefit. Ummmmmmmm....if I ever find one, I'll be sure to tell you. :)

I heard that Chrysler is trying to get out of the "merger" deal. Anyone else hear anything about that?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'd like to hear one benefit of owning a German car. If I'm not mistaken, I read that Mercedes vehicles have an average number of initial problems just barely under Chrysler. I read Chrysler's average being something like 1.62 and Mercedes being 1.4

All of this "perfect" German engineering, outrageous price tag, and meticulous vehicle construction yields just a 1.4???? LOL...

And besides, Mercedes are ugly. But then again, so are the Audi's, the VW's (except maybe the new Jetta), etc. :D

Gimme a beautifully-styled and sporty LH sedan anyday over anything else!! :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't remember exactly where but I remeber a string of posts at DI.NET saying that they wish Chrysler would change there platforms more often. Well, we find out the LH series is going extinct and now we don't want to loose it. I guess I welcome the change as long as the new cars are as or more stylish than what we see now. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I'M NOT FOR THE GERMAN ****!. Hey, I still miss the K-car (LOL), but we must move on to the next era. I to have heard that Chrysler is trying to rid Daimler. :D

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Hey, I'm ready for the next gen....just because it isn't going to be cab forward doesn't mean it isn't going to be stylish.

The head designer for the new "LX" cars even said, there is going to be no equal for what's next...it's going to make anything on the road seem dated.

That plus the addition of a V8 and rear wheel drive...I'm excited. Just because it isn't going to have the familiar cues we see on the current and 1st Gen cars doesn't mean it's going to be plain or ugly. It just means Chrysler is going to do what they originally did when the Intrepid first came out...design a car that looks like no other. The current and 1st Gen Intrepids are outstanding looking cars, but they aren't the head turners they used to be. I am glad Chrysler is going in a different direction, you have to constantly evolve to survive in this business.

If the drawings we've seen of the next Concorde are any indication of how the styling is going to be with the next Intrepid....I'm not worried that they are going to be plain.....or underpowered for that matter.

Now, if they turn out ugly...that's it. I'm buying a Miata and dumping a 302 in it. :)

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to diss your S500, Intrepid98. ;)

Of course I'm not resistant to change, as I believe it is one of the best qualities Chrysler posseses, but I agree with Intrepidatious. If they don't come out with a design who's styling speaks to me in the same way the 1st and 2nd generation LH cars did, I'll probably switch to something like a Grand Prix (as much as it makes me cringe to say it) or I'll buy the newest Intrepid or 300M based on the current style (2003 model, right?)

The reason I posted this comment in the first place was to express my initial dismay over the issue.

The first car I ever drove was a first-generation Intrepid. Loved it from then on. Kinda tough to let go to something like that. :cool:

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I rode in a Mustang Cobra last year. My friend had one when he was in Charlotte NC. He took the car from 60mph all the way up to 145mph on a 2 lane highway. I couldnt believe the speed we were going.

The only thing that comes close to describing the feel of going that fast.... is when you are in the plane on the runway... and u are taking off. That kind of acceleration.

Oh and Intrepidacious.... do you have any idea how much it is to insure a Mustang Cobra in NY? I actually checked and for me it was around $4000 for six months. LOL

·
Registered
146 Posts
It would either be the Boxter or a C5, yeah I know, totally different type of car. I'm not sure if I would have to go for the all out power or precision handling and engineering. Both are the same price, so we'll see when I have enough money for that. Right now I'm still the poor college student. But hey at least I get to drive/ride in my buddies 92 vette sometimes. I know what you mean by runway acceleration and that car will do it every time.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The C5 is a very nice car...no comparison can be made with the C4's though...those cars were not up to snuff with early 90's sports cars. Though don't get me wrong, I'd take one in heartbeat.(no offense to your friend's car, but towards the end of their product cycle, they were just outclassed in the NVH category...but speed and handling were awesome.) The C6's come out in 2 years, maybe you'll like them too...

With the Camaro dead after MY 2002, I just hope that Ford doesn't think it has nothing to compete with except 4 banger foreign cars.
It's only competition is going to be cars like the Eclipse and the Prelude etc etc... I hope Ford doesn't decide to drop the V8's and start giving us high revving 4 bangers.

There's no replacement for displacement!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
BMW defintely knows what they are doing. The 3 series is a driver's car. But I am so dyed in the wool American biased... sometime's I know I'm missing out on some sweet rides, but I'm just stubborn I guess. :)

and to think....I bought car from a "German" company....hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I was going to pay 120g's or whatever the Z8 cost I would rather get.. well.. an new Intrepid, a Corvette, and a Ram Pickup :)

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: 98PurdueIntrepid ]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts