Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car:
2002 Trep R/T
100% stock
89 octane (normal)
14,000 miles
driven 15 freeway miles to the shop
oil changed @ 12,000 by dealer in late Dec '03
Where "stock" is noted the factory air filter was used and was due for replacement (I couldn't see sunlight through it ...)

Conditions:
74° F
11% humidity
29.4" Hg
SAE: 0.99

Run 1: 3rd gear - stock. You can see where the auto-stick force-shifted into 4th @ 5700RPM (118MPH)
Run 2: 2nd gear - stock
Run 3: 2nd gear - K&N filter in stock box w/rubber gasket installed

The K&N did help some, but I expected more from it considering the stock filter was pretty dirty. I also asked the guy about the engine HP after the first run. He used some type of correction factor and said the top end (178 HP) equaled about 221 at the engine (and pointed out that it was still climbing @ 5600+ RPM). I told him stock was 244 and he said that was probably pretty close to right. I don't know what he used to figure that, but these guys do it all the time so I assume he knows what he's talking about. Using the HP increase on the 2nd gear runs, the third gear run would've been 182HP @ 6500RPM.

It is interesting to note the difference in the runs between 2nd & 3rd gear ... wonder what causes that???

Sooo, next comes the JoeKD intake and another trip back to the dyno ... probably in 2 weeks. I'll post those graphs here as well. Anyone interested in the text read-out (by 100RPM) can PM me - I should have that data transfered from paper to *.txt by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
damn thats insane, I'm afraid to take mine to a dyno :(

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
95trep said:
damn thats insane, I'm afraid to take mine to a dyno :(
Chicken!!! :biggrin: Just remember - it's a sedan with enough interior space for a small orgy.
Seriously, I'm hoping to settle a few questions about what works and how well - the K&N kinda' caught me off guard!
I really expected more of a gain ... :(

·
Registered
910 Posts
The stock air filter and stock intake seem to flow a lot of air. I took my L_intake off and K&N out and put the stock stuff on for the winter and I swear I did notice a little decrease in HP, but that's just seat of the pants dyno . It will be interesting to see a real dyno run after you change the intake.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Dyno changes for equipment changes are very hard to quantify and isolate from other factors. For instance a simple change of 15 degrees in ambient temp will have a HP change of about 3-5 HP.

My dyno runs all ran out at about 5700-5900 due to shifting. I need to override the 3-4 shift process somehow.

Some sort of OD lockout.

I ended up with 185 and 193 HP at the front wheels with about 210 Ft-Lbs of torque.

What bothers me about your torque curve is how peaky it is.

My torque curve is very flat.

I stay within 5% of max torque from 3300 RPM to 4400 RPM. I stay within 10% of max torque from 2900 RPM to 5000 RPM.
Even at the 5700 shift point I am still within 20% of max torque.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
intrepitor said:
The stock air filter and stock intake seem to flow a lot of air. I took my L_intake off and K&N out and put the stock stuff on for the winter and I swear I did notice a little decrease in HP, but that's just seat of the pants dyno . It will be interesting to see a real dyno run after you change the intake.
I will be doing that in a couple of weeks. I didn't get the J-intake, though ... I got JoeKD's stock box intake.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DScruggs said:
What bothers me about your torque curve is how peaky it is.
My torque curve is very flat.
I stay within 5% of max torque from 3300 RPM to 4400 RPM. I stay within 10% of max torque from 2900 RPM to 5000 RPM.
Even at the 5700 shift point I am still within 20% of max torque.
Here's the 3rd gear torque curve a little more spread out ...

I see what you mean about the curve on the front side ... I don't know what happened there.
He did say it was the first time he'd done a Trep and he thought he'd hit the limiter (even after I insisted it didn't have one) when it up-shifted at 5700 RPM. I may go back next weekend before I change anything and have him run them all again in 3rd.

Edit: Thinking a little more about it, he may not have given it WOT until the big spike ...

·
Registered
910 Posts
D76G12 said:
I will be doing that in a couple of weeks. I didn't get the J-intake, though ... I got JoeKD's stock box intake.
That's the setup I have, it's the L_intake with the stock air box and drop in K&N. I think it works a little better at keeping the engine heat out of the intake stream.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
intrepitor said:
That's the setup I have, it's the L_intake with the stock air box and drop in K&N. I think it works a little better at keeping the engine heat out of the intake stream.
I thought it would, too.
Someone posted that the rubber intake opening can be "ported" a little - have you tried that or was it your post?

·
Registered
910 Posts
D76G12 said:

Someone posted that the rubber intake opening can be "ported" a little - have you tried that or was it your post?
Do you mean the rubber that connects to the throttle body? If so, I replaced that as part of the L_intake. On the 01's there isn't a sensor in the last bend like the 02's.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It seems LH cars are just wierd to dyno or something.

I should get my butt in gear...you guys are putting down almost what i'm putting down at the wheels and I've got plently more displacement. I have loads more torque though. :D

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Darn straight I want to see the results of JoeKD's intake on that bad boy!!!
Wouldn't have anythung to do with the fact that I have an '02 now, would it??

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
intrepitor said:
Do you mean the rubber that connects to the throttle body? If so, I replaced that as part of the L_intake. On the 01's there isn't a sensor in the last bend like the 02's.
No, I'm talking about the rubber gasket around the whole through the inner fender - the air intake hole for the stock air box.

BTW - I've got one of those 90° TB bends, too, but I haven't decided whether to use it or not. The larger, custom opening could create turbulence at the face of the TB while the stock unit funnels the air into the smaller TB opening size. I'll decide when I take it out and really look at it.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bongobobny said:
Darn straight I want to see the results of JoeKD's intake on that bad boy!!!
Wouldn't have anythung to do with the fact that I have an '02 now, would it??
Have you got a JoeKD intake? Or waitiing for my results?
Ohhh, that's 1001 ...!

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Don Scruggs: Where did you do your Dyno run at?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
well it is 6900 on an '01 3.2

It would be nice to see the power drop off.
Hopefully the short runner valve operates in reverse:mg:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts