DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought this computer new a couple months back. When I play AOE3 WC it tends to still freeze why is this? My cable internet is suppose to be high speed and all that. I dont see any other problems with it.

All I want to do is play this dang game online against others.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Generating clever phrase...
688 Posts
Random gaming thought. If you like RTS' DO NOT PLAY Sins Of A Solar Empire. Ok that's not fair. However I absolutely hated it. It has like a 6 tier tech tree to go through. It's just way to long and drawn out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I bought this computer new a couple months back. When I play AOE3 WC it tends to still freeze why is this? My cable internet is suppose to be high speed and all that. I dont see any other problems with it.

All I want to do is play this dang game online against others.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
it doesnt have to be the connection, does the game freeze when you play it single player? also Age of Empires 3 has a farily high demand in video capability, could you give us some specs on your machine (video card, processor, ram, etc.)?

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
paging?

Computer Specs

Dell - Inspiron 530
3.4 Window Experience Index
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
Memory 3070MB
Vista Home Premium
32 Bit Operating System

·
Registered
193 Posts
paging?

Computer Specs

Dell - Inspiron 530
3.4 Window Experience Index
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
Memory 3070MB
Vista Home Premium
32 Bit Operating System
so far so good, shouldnt bee the problem, but what kind of video card do you have?... im not that familiar with the experience index since I despise Vista, but 3.4 is pretty medium isnt it? shouldnt it be higher with the specs he has so far?

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS

Chip Type - GeForce 8300GS
DAC Type - Integrated RAMDAC
Adapter String - GeForce 8300GS
Total Available Graphics Memory - 1407MB
Dedicated Video Memory - 128 MB
System Video Memory - 0MB
Shared System Memory - 1279MB

------------------------------------------------
Heres my Windows Experience Score (determined by the lowest subscore) The base scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology.

Processer - 5.2
Memory - 5.9
Graphics - 3.4
Gaming Graphics - 4.4
Primary Hard Disk - 5.7

I dont think I got that bad other then graphics.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy says it might be a port problem any idea on what or how to change those?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Only experience i've had with port problems were in the early days of xbox live (like the year it came out). I can't remember exactly what I changed but I remember that you have to go into your router settings (mine is 192.168.1.1) and open up some ports that might be causing it to lag. I'd check the AOE3 forums or support site to see if anyone else is having issues. Good luck bud.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked on the AOE3 forums and didnt see anything about lag just people who couldnt get on.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Heres a thought, maybe you just have a slow connection. Yes you have cable but say you're paying for 3mb. Chances are you're only getting 1.2 to 2mb. If you're connected to a router make sure the proper ports are forwarded. If you're using wireless then switch to a wired 10/100 ethernet. Yes wireless is fast but you're not always going what the top speed. With a 54mb wireless device and getting say a quarter signal you're going anywhere from 5 to 10mb. A direct connection via parallel (LPT) is faster then that.

So so many reasons why you're lagging. Heck all it takes is another user say a family member on another PC could be sucking bandwidth. Might have too many programs trying to use the same port. Slow connection. A hard drive that has a bad file fragment problem or even a hardware problem.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
A direct connection via parallel (LPT) is faster then that.
LPT is a line print terminal. I don't think that has anything to do with his connection?

You're using Vista, aren't you...?

You will have fluctuations with wireless. 54mb/s that is stated on the hardware represents the transfer speeds between two clients on the same network using 802.11a/b/g protocol.

On the other hand, having wireless could be a problem. Using a wired connection could increase connection reliability.

AOE uses 2 different protocols. TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)and UDP (User Datagram Protocol).

Port 47624
Ports 2300-2400 TCP or UDP

In your router, whatever your private address maybe (Click Start>Run>CMD>ipconfig /all) Whatever your default gateway is, is your private IP address, assuming you have a router. Chances are, your private IP is a class C address and will start with 192.168 and so on. You will need to locate your "port fowarding" menu and plug in either 47624 (to allow incoming traffic through that port) or any port number within 2300-2400.

Graphics cards can be strange. Is your card PCI express x16? What is your VMB (Video Memory Bandwidith)? Video memory could be 512mb or greater, but doesn't change the way the card processes images and streaming. Does AOE3 require DX10?

Paging of course isn't an issue if you're running 3gb. Make sure that there aren't any processes hanging up that could cause program interference.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not using wireless. I am the only one using this computer/internet. How do I locate my "port fowarding" menu.

Is your card PCI express x16? What is your VMB (Video Memory Bandwidith)? I have no clue.

The game works great when I play it, it just when I try the multi player is when it lags.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's not PCI-Express. It's the slimline Dell version with the 8300GS integrated onto the board. Graphically, it should be fine unless you're cranking it, but if it's only an online issue it sounds more like some sort of internet connectivity issue.

Is it only in-game online that it lags, or does the menu, searching for games, accessing data in itself seem slow?

It could be a port issue, but it could also be a software conflict in terms of the modem. What brand modem (box that your computer is hooked up to for internet) do you have? Can you find any model number on it anywhere? This might just need a firmware update as some of the older modem/router software packages limit fluid gameplay unless you get the latest software. Who's your internet service provider?

Also, try this and tell us what you get

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only ingame the menu/chating/searching before the game seems fine. Arris is the box that connects to the internet. My ISP is the Indytel just for this town.

Arris model number is CM450A

That website speedtest using Chicago, IL
Download Speed: 6057 kbps (757.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 430 kbps (53.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts