DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the LPS for a locking cap. Took me a minute to decide if I should buy vented or not? What are your thoughts on this subject?

·
Registered
277 Posts
IDK, I'm actually interested of the answer here... my engine will go dead if I try to add fuel while it's running, so IDK what kind of venting malfunction I might have. I was looking at a locking gas cap, but I haven't bought it yet.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
my engine will go dead if I try to add fuel while it's running.
I don't think you should be doing that anyway. All the gas stations near me all have big signs saying that it is illegal to add gas with the engine running.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't think you should be doing that anyway. All the gas stations near me all have big signs saying that it is illegal to add gas with the engine running.
My trep is the first car that I've ever cut off to put gas in. In GA it's not illegal, thats funny that it IS illegal in MI.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I went to the LPS for a locking cap. Took me a minute to decide if I should buy vented or not? What are your thoughts on this subject?
The fuel cap has a relief valve in it, designed to open at a pressure of 17kpa (2.5 psi) or a vacuum of 2kpa (0.6 in hg). ----2002 and 2003 FSM. Your '04 may have different specs but I'm quite sure it will also have a relief valve in it. If you use the wrong cap, you will have a check engine light constantly on while driving.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
My trep is the first car that I've ever cut off to put gas in. In GA it's not illegal, thats funny that it IS illegal in MI.
Its illegal in most, if not all states.

Most gas caps do have some relief valve built into them to purge with either a certain amount of pressure or vacuum. Kinda have to.

·
Registered
780 Posts
partsformydodge.com has 45$ locking gascaps, ouch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts