DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
I have a 93 ES and the gas gauge is jumpy, has anyone else had this problem it will go all the way to the top when its full but then it will drop to empty, a guy said that it was a connection problem- he said to check somewhere in the trunk near the fuel pump or somehting so basically where is this connection at or is there another way to fix it
THanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dude! Mine does the same damn thing lately! I know I only have a qtr tank of gas right now but sometimes when I turn the car on, it'll read like I just filled to max. Other times it will drop to where its supposed to and go back to half. Most of the time it reads correctly though. Check your fuel pump fuse in your fuse box though, because my car is rigged right now to run off that fuse and 1 other, I forget to get it to run till my key hole thingy comes in. So I think thats why my fuel gauge is f'ed up. :mad:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have the same problem. It just started happening not too long ago. I posted here but didn't get much more info on it other that just live with it. I did read up on how hard it would be to replace the fuel level sending unit if in fact that was the problem. I think that it is just a 'simple' connection problem. If you look in your trunk all the way in the front there is an oval shaped protrusion from the trunk floor (basically it is formed into the trunk mat). If you pull your trunk mat you can see there is a little door and under there is where you can get to all of the wiring and the fuel pump in/on the top of the gas tank. The fuel level sending unit is on the bottom of the fuel pump and everything must be pulled to get to that. I think when I was checking it out, the fuel level sensor was somewhere around $50-70, but that was when it first started and I have just been ignoring it since then. Hope you can get it fixed.

Later

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the guy i bought it from (huge motor head) said that it is just a connection problem and if i just clean the connectors or replace them it should work fine again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey i ripped the carpet out unscrewed the plate and loked inside and saw that there was 1 inch of gravel dust (i live in the country) accumulated on the connectors and stuff.
So i took the shop vac and sucked all the dust out and cleaned the connectors and placed the plate back on and got a tank of gas and now i am jsut waiting to see if it is fixed.
:p

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Keep us posted on what happens. If it works I will be doing the same this weekend. How difficult was it to remove the carpet?

Later

·
Registered
415 Posts
Where exactly is this oval?? By front of the trunk to you mean towards the engine front or do you mean towards your body front (near the rear bumper)?

I saw an oval thing near the drivers side rear taillight under the mat?? Is that it?

Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
By front of the trunk I mean all the way towards the front of the car. Depending on how much use your trunk has gotten you may or may not be able to see the outline of the oval cover through the carpet. It is about 5" long (front to back) and around 3" wide (side to side) and is dead center (again side to side) on the trunk floor. Hope this helps.

Later

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
Originally posted by swartlkk:
By front of the trunk I mean all the way towards the front of the car. Depending on how much use your trunk has gotten you may or may not be able to see the outline of the oval cover through the carpet. It is about 5" long (front to back) and around 3" wide (side to side) and is dead center (again side to side) on the trunk floor. Hope this helps.

Later

did it help your gas guage problem? cuz mines doin it.. and b4 i go rippin all my amps and junk up i'd like to know it at least worked..

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no it didnt work(vacuuming the gas connectors and stuff)
sorry guys guess we have to get some replacing done of the gas thingy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced the battery in my wife's 94 and her gas guage works fine now. Has 134k miles and looks and runs brand new.

Hope this helps everyone else out.

L8tr
Tom Green
94 Intrepid ES
83 Porsche 944

·
Registered
9 Posts
more likely the fuel pump.

:baaa:

I would have to agree I replaced the fuel pump on my 3.5L ES.Try looking near the fuel pump and you should see if there is something malfunctioning. Also you may think about it being the fuel pump its self as well. They are electronically messured inside the tank. The reader arm could be malfunctioning as well. well try some of those things.

-Geoff

:bigsmile: :dozeoff:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts