DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may become threee posts in one. These topics have been posted many a time before, but this being my first winter experience in my Intrepid, I have a few comments and questions.

Now here in C-land, we have had a very UN-normal winter, not much snow and cold, but more of a 60 degrees today, 25 degrees with 3 inches tomorrow kinda weather pattern.

I have been trying on every tank to watch my fuel economy. I have used '89 the majority of the time and economy ('87) when in a budget crisis. I have noticed the car performs better with an average of 2-3 mpg using mid-grade ('89). However, I drive mainly all highway, about 80-90%, with liitle stop and go city driving except for downtown driving everyday as part of the daily commute. I have noticed I only get between 24-26mpg overall. To me this seems low, I would have thought with so much highway driving I would be closer to 27-29mpg.

My questions are this, how has your milage been through winter, and does the cold climate greatly affect performance and economy? I do warm my engine up each moring to get the fluids running properly. I check my tire pressure on a regular basis and keep them at 32psi. Are there any maintenance items I should check or change? When I first got the car in August last year, I put on mew tires, changed the plugs, flushed the cooling system, gave it a new oil filter, oil and K&N air filter. What I saw was I had gotten nearly 30mpg with highway driving. It seems that way no more, as my gas light will come on anywhere from 300-340 miles on the tank. Am I being too picky in wanting more economy, or is my car doing well for being a 3.2L '98 with over 75k on it? Just like to hear what others experiences are with fuel economy and such, weather conditions, ect.

On a second note, I was very worried at what I would experience with this car in snowy conditions. Well, to my surprise it has been a very welcomed one. We have had two pretty good snowstorms over the course of the last month, both times coming home from work at night, having to travel 35 miles to get to point B (home!). I will say I really am happy to have the Auto Stick option as I never had the car in 1st, but always started in 2nd, to take away tire spin. It proved itself very hepful at startup positions from stop. Then even with a good 1-3" of covered highway, I was safely able to do 55-60 mph with little felt from the tires, passing many others who could barely push 45 as well as SUV's. On my latest excursion last week, it took me over an hour and a half (normally a 40 min. trip) to get home as downtown Cleveland was gridlocked getting anywhere from 5-8" at rush hour. I left at 7:30p hoping things would have cleared out. Not the case, I fought through the gridlock, eventually getting into more open spaces on the highway, and felt very comfortable with the handling of car in this amount of snow cover. What are your opions of its handling capablities in the rain, snow, ice, etc.? I also enjoy having much beef around me in case of an unexpected accident.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to let this post go on for so long, I'll just end it now, thanks for listening!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I am very happy with the way my Intrepid handles in adverse conditions. Gets through a good amount of snow.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I envy you guys, my mileage goes into the teens in cold weather.
Here is a tip. Try to avoid using defrost all the time, it runs the AC compressor in that mode.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
You highway mileage might be less than the listed (27mpg on my 2001 ES) because of your speed. Keep in mind that the mileage test is probably done at around 55mph and under perfect conditions. But if you ask me for a 1998 model the 24-26 you are getting sounds pretty good to me.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
my mileage in the winter drops into the low teens too...
but this is because I drive a total of 1 mile to school in the mornin,
and 1 mile back from school in the afternoon.. the car never really gets warm......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts