DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, Im still working on my full tune up. HEHE, well, I recently replaced my spark plugs and wires, and took the intake plenum off, and cleaned it out, replaced the gasket, and sprayed some throttle body cleaner down it. WEEELLLLLLL... for some reason after I did this [I disconnected the negative battery cable, kause i was dealing with the ignition] my check engine lights never came back on [ive had a code or 2 for like 2 months.] ... u have to know that the code was for the "evap purge system somthing-or-other" aka, vaccume system. and it started after I put my cone filter on. Now, it overheated a lil more than a month ago, and it got a new pcm and new head gaskets. when this happened, the dealership told me it needed a major tune up, and I told them id take care of it. So im still taking care of it... ok, well no error codes anymore, but those codes were reguarding the vaccume system !?! .... jus wondering if i should worry?

ok, on a different subject. My gas mileage isn't up to par. umm, short history, ive recently changed the oil, spark plugs and wires, and ran a full bottle of injector cleaner. after all this, even though the code is gone, i still get only around 300 miles to a tank [reset trip meter at each fill]. 2 things that might be culprits... I put the air box back in when it went to the dealer [didnt want them saying anyting to warranty company bout intake] and havent replaced it with my cone yet, mainly kause im waiting to move my pcm and evap can so i can put the cone down there where its cooler. OH, the air filter is probably pretty shitty, screws are stripped, havnt touched it since i got the car [currently 19k ago]
the other thing might be the fuel filter... ergg, Im not gonna attack that right away, but i guess ill have to do it next oil change.

ahhhhhhh this was a long post. thanx for reading through it, and thanx for help/opinions.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
if you're getting 300 miles to a tank on city driving you're getting good mileage. usually i struggle to reach 300 miles on 15 gals, which is what i shoot for because the math is easy ;) . if you're talking about highway then yes, you are looking at some crappy mileage. i've gone 450 miles on a tank on pure highway and had a 2 gals left to burn, so 500 miles probably isn't out of the question if you run it completely dry.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think if your evap is not working properly you get crappy mileage. Have you checked your codes or are you saying your check engine light is not coming on anymore? Just because the light does not come on does not mean you don't have codes. Something to consider....What is your driving style? I've been comparing different driving styles to see what it does to gas mileage. I've found that tromping on the gas pedal (even a few times during a full tank) to hear that cool noise will dramatically reduce your mileage. I have the 3.5. I try to shoot for 100-125 miles per quarter tank (the large ticks on the gas gage) unless i'm driving hard.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, well, the 300 miles to a tank is running it down to about halfway in the red. I seem to be getting 70 to 90 miles to a quater tank, but thats really hard to say, kause after a fill i'll get 125 to the first quarter[starts above the full line] and 80 or 90 to the 2nd !?! Also, I'd say about 70% of my driving is highway. 30%city. I take the highway everywhere.

U know I didnt know that there could still be codes without a check engine light?

So, anyone think its the air filter, or fuel filter? Well, Im gonna do the PCM and Evap can move... when I move the evap can, is there any easy way to check the evap system? [calling all mechanics].... anyway, Ill put my cone filter back on today or tomorrow, so well see about that. I'll check my codes though. I think thats a good idea to do on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
ok, you've got a problem. the cone air filter will help but that's not the reason you're getting such bad mileage. that thing will give you 1-2mpg at the most. like Mopar4u said, i've also noticed that if you give your car even just 2 or 3 swift kicks in the ass you lose mileage hardcore.

it also sounds like you need to check the codes again because you probably still have a problem with that evap system. you also probably want to get that fixed before you move the assembly. you did the right thing with the fuel system treatment, that's sometimes an easy $3 fix to some problems. if all else fails maybe changing the fuel filter would help but this doesn't seem like the cause of your problems given your symptoms.

·
Banned
439 Posts
First off, what is the geography like in San Jose? If there are hills like here in Pittsburgh, I can see your complaint on the milage. I drive about 90% city and everyday on the way to school I climb hills that i wouldn't even want to walk up. My target is 40 miles per quarter tank. Also, I occasionally drive a little aggressively so I'm to blame as well. There was one time though I went on a long trip. At 1/8 above half tank, I was at 170 miles, which isn't all that bad. I was doing 86mph the entire way cause thats where the cruise shutoff...has anyone else had their cruise control stop accelerating after 86mph??

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: gary680 ]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, mine shuts off there too. heh, i guess my mileage isnt as bad as i thought. I was under the impression that if you did 70/30 highway/city miles, youd get somewhere between 350 and 450 to a tank [running half into the red zone]

Im gonna check for codes tonight when i get home from work, and ill let u guys know what comes of it.

Oh, btw, the terrain over hear is average, I dont have to climb any hills to get where im going, only time i have to deal with terrain is if i go on a trip, or out of the local area [san jose, and suburbs], so that isnt a factor.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: 97purple_trep ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by gary680:
First off, what is the geography like in San Jose? If there are hills like here in Pittsburgh, I can see your complaint on the milage. I drive about 90% city and everyday on the way to school I climb hills that i wouldn't even want to walk up. My target is 40 miles per quarter tank. Also, I occasionally drive a little aggressively so I'm to blame as well. There was one time though I went on a long trip. At 1/8 above half tank, I was at 170 miles, which isn't all that bad. I was doing 86mph the entire way cause thats where the cruise shutoff...has anyone else had their cruise control stop accelerating after 86mph??

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: gary680 ]

I don't know, I still think there is something wrong with your car, shooting for 40 miles per quater tank is horrible even in a hilly terrain. If I keep my foot to the floor I can still get around 75 miles to the quarter tank. But if you say so....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts