DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happens sometimes when I start the car, I get the odor of gasoline, and relatively confused, because it did the same in my cavalier...

Also, when first starting out in the 1-2k rpm, I hear a low growl, and a small rattle...Is that the engine itself, or somethign rattling?

Just curious, as I have no experience with this:spiders:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
The 1-2k rattle, groan, growl is common. Some have said it is drive belts, some have said it is catalytic converter heat shields. I wouldn't sweat it.

Now the gas can be serious. The 3.x liter engines have been known to get a leak in the fuel line right behind the engine. It turns from metal to molded plastic. Typically the leak sprays gas near the driver side cat!!!!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
For starters, check all fuel lines, rail, injectors, for leaks....check all vacuum hoses to the gas tank, the canister, and the fuel filler neck at the gas tank, been known to rust out up that way and cause odors....if 2.7, check the PCV valve and hose.....

Growl when cold could be a bad a/c or alternator idler pulley, or worn belts....for starters...if not, flushing power steering fluid has cured it in the past....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I'll be throwing the car up on a lift in the next week or so, when I get it inspected. I'll ask the mechanic to take a look at my lines, etc. I appreciate the help, considering I'm no car-savvy guy. :D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Two of my gen Is smell like fuel at start up and I have yet to find a leak anywhere. Very frustrating

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mines at start up, and it smells like its coming from the hood. Then again.

and if that was directed to the other ken, my bad, My names also ken lol

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
HAHAHAHAHHA It was more directed to GTXKen - but good to know, KXKen.

Hrrrm... So, under hood, and only at startup... Is it only at cold startup, or also at warm re-start?

Have you had your head under the hood looking at the fuel system while starting the car?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ken - only at start-up... at the tail pipe, or under the hood?
Only at cold stat up and I'm assuming under the hood, you can smell it in the car so it could be from the fuel tank also.

I've never done a pressure test, did all the pressure regulator, rail and injected o rings a while back, no spraying or dripping fuel while running or stopped.

You mean there is another ken?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I know that when mine is started cold, it smells like burnt gasoline (from the tailpipe) and only then.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that I finished my monthly interior cleaning...

I noticed the smell is more towards the back end of the car.

I wonder..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts