DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Gates timing belt kit on ebay for $75, which is about $100 less than on amazon. The manufacturer has a page on their website how to determine if a kit is counterfeit, which is only about the information on the box.

The timing belt kit on Gates website is for a PowerGrip Kit and shows PowerGrip on the box, The box I received does not have that on the box, nor does it meet any other criteria., but otherwise looks like an original box. However, the belt has Gates logo/part# on it, but what makes me suspicious about is the red band in the center of the belt can be seen on only about 20% of it and is not continuous. The water pump also has Gates logo and serial number etched on it, so it appears genuine.

Would a counterfeiter go to trouble of etching logos and serial#'s on parts?

Maybe I was sold kit with an older version of the box.

Hate to have this kit installed after spending about $2K on repairs and causes another engine failure.

Attached are pics of belt/water pump, and all sides of box.

Here is link for Gates water pump kit to determine if counterfeit:

Comment if parts are counterfeit or genuine?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
The Gates site says that what they show is of the latest packaging. You may have some older parts. The slogans are even different. It wouldn't cost a counterfeiter any extra to simply use the correct slogans, which is why my guess is they are genuine, just in older design packaging. I could be wrong.

You could send photos to Gates's counterfeit team for them to look at and evaluate. About 3 years ago, I did that with some ACDelco parts that I got off of ebay. For any given AC Delco part, they make two quality/price levels: 'Advantage' and 'Professional' (better design, more expensive). The ebay seller had claimed that the parts were of the 'Professional' line. The AC Delco team emailed me some questions, and they studied the detailed photos I sent, and after about a week and a half came back with the verdict that they were indeed genuine AC Delco and of the Professional line. That experience impressed me about AC Delco. I now buy their Professional line parts whenever I can.

I would suggest getting clearer photos to send. Most phones these days allow you to zoom for clear, close-up photos (with an iPhone, by doing the finger spread on the screen before taking the photo), and the resolution is good enough to allow you to back off a little to get good focus and then crop the photos for good, clear detail. If you tell me what you're taking the photos with, I may be able to give you some pointers on focusing and zooming in.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Wonder why you're cheaping out on the Gates kit while spending big bucks for all the other stuff. Ebay wouldn't be my first choice for that type of part. RA has the kit for around $160.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I took the kit to an auto parts store today and compared the belt to theirs and looked exactly the same...even the red ribbon on theirs not continuous. The store did not have the kit in stock but the rep. scanned the bar code on my box and it read as a good bar code on their system. He said he thinks box was "old stock".

Wonder why you're cheaping out on the Gates kit while spending big bucks for all the other stuff. Ebay wouldn't be my first choice for that type of part. RA has the kit for around $160.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The boxing looks a lot like the Gates box I got when I last did the timing belt on the intrepid. That was about 5 years ago, so it very well could be old stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts