DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When i put gear on park it jumps to second gear.
The transmission does not go to gear one at all but jumps directly to gear two. I cant start moving with automatic shifting, you have to manually put the 2:nd gear on.
So what could be the sollution?

·
Premium Member
16,854 Posts
Your post is not clear. To start with, you are saying that when you put the shifter in Park, you can drive the car around?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 2000 that had a console shifter that would catch while shifting sometimes. I removed the shift lever and console and found a Medic Alert bracelet jammed in the linkage. I also got $3.72 in change that was setting on top of the transmission.

If you have a column shift this won't help as much. Still check the linkages from the shifter to the transmission.

·
Registered
421 Posts
whenever you shift from park it goes into 2?
does it shift out of second as you accelerate?
you might be in limp mode.

·
Premium Member
16,854 Posts
whenever you shift from park it goes into 2?
does it shift out of second as you accelerate?
you might be in limp mode.
He's saying it's in 2nd with shifter in Park. I wonder if the transmission range sensor is messed up (or perhaps cable damaged or connector damaged or not properly mated).

The PCM does go into limp mode if the range sensor contact closure signals are in a disallowed state (there are 5 contacts, giving a mathematical 5 factorial, or 120, possible combinations, but only six valid combinations of those 5 contacts representing the 6 positions of the shifter. So any loose contacts or broken wires or whatever on the range sensor signals are going to cause limp mode.

anzzkuliini: I think you most likely have a connector that is not fully mated. One of the two rectangular connectors next to the brake booster carries range sensor signal wires. Also the 10-pin connector and one of the PCM or TCM connectors carry range sensor signal wire. I would try de-mating and re-mating those two rectangular connectors, the 10-pin transmission connector, and all TCM and PCM connectors, making sure they are fully mated. The other possibility is a bad range sensor (inside the transmission), but that is rare.

I think there's a good chance that remating those connectors will fix the problem - but no guarantees.

·
Premium Member
16,854 Posts
He seems to be saying that the car is not in park with the shifter in Park position. That suggests that the mechanical shifter cable is misadjusted or has other problems. I'm having trouble making sense of all these symptoms together, unless there's an unlikely combination of multiple problems - or the description of the symptoms is incomplete or not accurate.

anzzkuliini - Are you saying that the car will drive (move) in second gear with the shifter in the Park pisition? We need to have a complete and accurate descrition of what is happening.

·
Registered
421 Posts
He's saying it's in 2nd with shifter in Park. I
because he said it goes to gear 2 not 1 it was going right to second gear, and not first gear for drive.
i interpreted he's stuck in second for forward.

·
Premium Member
16,854 Posts
because he said it goes to gear 2 not 1 it was going right to second gear, and not first gear for drive.
i interpreted he's stuck in second for forward.
I agree. My only point was that he appears to be saying it's in 2nd gear with shifter in Park position. Do you see that part differently?

·
Registered
421 Posts
i took it to a fault of google translate.
a russian site i peruse has the same limitation.
but yeah, the first sentence reads that way.
i had to read it a couple times.
medication you know. 😄

·
Premium Member
16,854 Posts
Yeah it's not all making sense to me yet - until we get clarification from друг anzzkuliini.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts