DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After discovering my rear struts are now bad 63000 almost all the suspension has now been replaced and all the motors or doors windows and i have had it. This is unacceptable quality. I liked the car but I am tired of this. I am trading this in saturday and getting a new civic. It is reliable long lasting and will save me money in gas. I drive 80 mile stop and go and it will save me 50-75 a month in gas. What sucks the most is the depreciation. its a 2000 es loaded as you can get and i cant even get my payoff of 13500. Sad considering it was 32k new just 2 years ago. Terrible resale, that is why it will never be a top car in the sales dept. I thought about a maxima or accord but i really need the gas savings and knowledge it will go a few hundred thousand miles. I guess i cant come back on here anymore but thanks for all the good times and good stories.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hate to see you go, maybe next time you're back in Huntington you'll give me a shout:cool:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Sorry the Intrepid didn't treat you well....but you are more then welcome to come back anytime. Let us know how you like the Civic. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not going anywhere now

Good news and bad news. Keeping the Trep. Bad news guys our cars are not even worth blue book. The 0% and heavy rebates and discounts are driving our resale value down even more. Wholesale on my 2000 ES loaded with 3.2 and every option except sunrooof and spoiler is $8000.00 Can you guys believe that depreciation? I cant afford that loss. I am just going to keep it and hope nothing more tears up. I really need the gas mileage of the civic , but the loss would pay for the civic so I am just going to keep my car. They even told me my extended warranty wasnt worth anything. What a load of crap. Oh well. This is to the guy in milton, my parents live in milton. I will be up there for the appalachian game and may travel to the VT game so we will see. Until then GO HERD>

·
Registered
523 Posts
First, if you are truly desperate to be rid of the Intrepid, you could get more money if you sold the car private party. Dealers will always low-ball you on a trade in. They make a TON of money on used cars.

Second, 63,000 miles for struts is not unheard of. You bought the car used, right? Who knows how it was treated before you had it.

In addition, struts are a wear item, meaning that they need to be replaced periodically just like your brakes and belts do. There are many variables to the life of a strut, and I believe they are not produced by DC. I think they are a contract item, and Otto could probably confirm this.

Sounds like you have a lemon. You can call DC Customer Assistance directly if you feel you have had an unusual amout of problems with it. They have an 800 number that is probably in the back of your owner's manual.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Glad to see your keeping the trep. I think most all manufacturers are having trouble with resale values. BTW, where do your folks live in Milton? Did you graduate from MHS or Cabell-Midland?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wanted to get a Mustang GT Convertible, but after seeing the value of my car in the books, FORGET ABOUT IT! I'm keeping it and fixing it up. I have lots of space, nice looks, can fit all my friends in there, i'm not switchin cars until i can afford a newer Intrepid. Forget about it!:D
Well, maybe later on, i'll get a different car, i don't know, i'll see.
Final statement:

I LOVE MY DODGE INTREPID!:baaa:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really a lemon I guess

My miles are all highway. I bought in 2000 a 2000 model barely used and I take good care of it. They already replaced front suspension once and now rear. I also have a popping noise coming from front sounds like in dash. Dodge wants 200 dollars to look for it. It has been a decent car better than fords i had but not up to honda quality. It hasnt been bad I am just not used to having problems-honda. I am going to keep it. Struts should last 100000 miles from my experience. My car runs like a chance. I really need the gas mileage though. Oh well. I would just go ahead and buy a civic but I do not have driveway space and the neighborhood doesnt allow parking in street or they tow you.

To the guy in milton my parents live in a neighborhood somewhat past the rock gravel place near some bar. I lived there a year. They moved to huntington and then milton after I moved to college. I was there first . We were from Georgia. I didnt go to school in wv , i went in Georgia. But i am a die hard Herd fan and I cant wait for the season to start. I think we are going to have our best team ever and I am glad we fired Coach Kelly defense was terrible. Talk to you later

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree about the terrible resale value issues going on... last year at this time I was going to refinance my car with a lower intrest rate. I owed $18k and my car was worth $15k... I recently tried again since I paid it down a bit. My car value went down to $8500 for blue-book and $9000 for NADA. I'm stuck with 17%. :mad:

Dealerships = :devil:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: Not really a lemon I guess

huntersdl said:
I really need the gas mileage though. Oh well. I would just go ahead and buy a civic but I do not have driveway space and the neighborhood doesnt allow parking in street or they tow you.

Glad your keeping the trep. Go buy a Motorcycle or car pool & let someone else help pay the gas. You sure as hell can drive the car poolers in style:biggrin: !!!!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Not really a lemon I guess

huntersdl said:
My miles are all highway. I bought in 2000 a 2000 model barely used and I take good care of it. They already replaced front suspension once and now rear. I also have a popping noise coming from front sounds like in dash. Dodge wants 200 dollars to look for it. It has been a decent car better than fords i had but not up to honda quality. It hasnt been bad I am just not used to having problems-honda. I am going to keep it. Struts should last 100000 miles from my experience. My car runs like a chance. I really need the gas mileage though.
I'd like to help you with some ideas if you don't mind.
1) Have you run the VIN through www.carfax.com? You may have a vehicle that is older/more mileage than you've been lead to believe. If you find that you need more info on this, Consumer Reports did a report on used car within the last couple of months that might help you where to do. It has been my experience to that struts should, heck even shocks now a days, last longer than they do with your car.
2) What kind of mileage do you get? With my 3.2 loaded down on vacation at highway speed, I get 27-29 MPG. My usual cruise is 73 mph. Are you at least getting what the EPA set for your car?
3) Push up the pressure to 35 PSI on your tires. Get a high quality dial gauge. If your out driving around alot, fill up your tires to around 40 PSI on your way home. Then before you drive your car the next day, check and adjust the air pressure.
4) Check the wear on your tires. With 63k, I assume you are on your second set. Misalignment will put a drag on your economy if its bad enough.
5) Check your air filter. You should be at a minimum on your 3rd filter.
6) Make sure you change your oil with energy conserving oil. Most 10w 30 is this.
7) Empty your trunk of any extra stuff.
8) Use only regular unleaded gas. You are wasting money by putting in higher grade gas.

These are about the only things I can think of off the top of my head. Certainly car pool as mentioned before would help.

Best of luck to you and if I think of anything more, I'll post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
no hope left

Just wasted $14 on carfax.com... had hoped that there might be something wrong with my car even though it was bought new... I am stupid... and buying a Dodge Intrepid proves it. I hate this car! I hate it ... I hate it ... I hate it. I live to get rid of this shitbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Re: no hope left

tdauria said:
Just wasted $14 on carfax.com... had hoped that there might be something wrong with my car even though it was bought new... I am stupid... and buying a Dodge Intrepid proves it. I hate this car! I hate it ... I hate it ... I hate it. I live to get rid of this shitbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**** off...I'm sick of your bitching!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
LMAO:tongue: :tongue: Like randy said **** OFFFFF

We dont need youre bitching on this site. Go ***** to youre self you ****ed youre own car you dumbass:baaa: :baaa: :baaa:

DODGE INTREPID IS ONE OF THE BEST CARS:baaa: :baaa: :baaa:

160k And only problem with it what ****ing looser you are trying to come on this and *****. You know if you really hate the car drive it off a cliff with youreself in the car:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Re: no hope left

tdauria said:
as I said earlier..we know that this site is not for everyone, now we have determined without a doubt that it isn't for you so just go away

have you ever had one positive thing to say about anything...I don't think so..I'm sorry your budget is so strict that you couldn't afford to spend the $14.00 or get rid of your car....

life is tough..get used to it...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, yes, yes.

As far as I know, this is an enthusiasts' site, right?

I agree with Randy. All you whiners who condemn the Intrepid as a bad vehicle because you've had problems should dry up and float away. Your incessant complaining bores me. Here, have a tissue.

Seems like the majority of folks on the boards have not had any trouble. No car, imported or domestic, is going to have 100% reliability across the boards.

If you believe this, you will be rudely awakened. I hope you have as much trouble with your next car.

Remember, the grass is always greener . . .

Bye now! Don't let the door hit you in the ass!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.