DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought new tires ( Kumho I want to know if anyone has any knowledge on the tires? I had BF Goodrich's on my Trep and the tires were shot! i only have 24,000 on my car and rotate my tires every 6,000 miles and they were like slicks! I got 4 Kumho tires mount and ballanced and installed for $320.00 is that an okay price?

·
Registered
545 Posts
-I got two mounted and balanced for $112... multiply that my 2 and you would get $224. Oh, what kind of Kumho tires? Mine were only S-rated. (The cheap kind)

-BaTmAn

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I just put a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX's on my Trep about 3 weeks ago. Mine are 245/45-17's... I am VERY impressed with them so far! I had Falken ZIEX 502's on it before which lasted 45k miles, and I was really happy with them. But, my new ASX's are a LOT quieter! Another nice thing about the ASX's - they are not a directional tire, so I can follow an X-pattern rotation which allows for more even wear. I think the sidewall of the Falkens may have been a bit more stiff , but the Kumhos are still a VERY good handling tire! Hope that helps! :biggrin:

Oh...and mine were $526 out the door...new valve stems, mounted, lifetime balance and rotation w/standard road-hazard warranty.

·
Registered
431 Posts
In2Deep said:
I just put a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX's on my Trep about 3 weeks ago. Mine are 245/45-17's... I am VERY impressed with them so far! I had Falken ZIEX 502's on it before which lasted 45k miles, and I was really happy with them. But, my new ASX's are a LOT quieter! Another nice thing about the ASX's - they are not a directional tire, so I can follow an X-pattern rotation which allows for more even wear. I think the sidewall of the Falkens may have been a bit more stiff , but the Kumhos are still a VERY good handling tire! Hope that helps! :biggrin:

Oh...and mine were $526 out the door...new valve stems, mounted, lifetime balance and rotation w/standard road-hazard warranty.
Wow! Me too! I had Falken Ziex 512's and switched to the Kumho Ecsta ASX's due to Falken's excessive wear. I love the Kumho's! They have a softer ride but still perform well. I just went to Austin last weekend and took the M through some twisties in Austin's hill country around Lake Travis. I was extremely impressed! At some points I was going 55mph in 25mph zones. The car was always sure footed and kept under control. I couldn't believe how I was able to toss her around. She took whatever I threw at her! Of course I was using A/S at the time to help maintain control. Do these babies stick!
I got 245/45/17's also through tirerack.com. they ran about $98 a piece.

P.S.---The ASX's ARE directional. If you notice on one side of the tire it says "outside". After I had them mounted, I noticed some of the tires said "outside" on them and some didn't. I had to take them back to get them remounted.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I didn't have wear wissues with my Falkens, but they were a bit noisy...although they did handle a bit better on hard corners than my new Kumho's.

BTW...The ASX's are NOT directional. They are labeled "outside", but when mounted correctly, that "outside" stays "outside" no matter how you rotate them. Nearly all directional tires have an arrow indicating the direction they MUST rotate. Look at your old Falkens, and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ASX's are an "Asymmetrical tread design", but not directional.

·
Registered
431 Posts
In2Deep said:
BTW...The ASX's are NOT directional. They are labeled "outside", but when mounted correctly, that "outside" stays "outside" no matter how you rotate them. Nearly all directional tires have an arrow indicating the direction they MUST rotate. Look at your old Falkens, and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ASX's are an "Asymmetrical tread design", but not directional.
Point taken. You are correct.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
How many miles did you have on the Falkens? I had just shy of 45k miles on mine, but the left ones were pretty much slicks due to about a month of bad inner tie-rod bushings...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got around 15K out of the Falkens. That's one thing that drew me to the Kumhos--they have a tread life of 420. I hope I get more life out of the Kumhos. I just need to lay off the gas pedal! :auto_07:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 'Trep came with Pirelli rubber from the facory and I loved the performance of those tires, but they were hard as hell and rode way too rough for my liking. When they finally ran down, we replaced them with the same size (225/45/16 I think) Goodyears. We went ahead and got the new Triple Tread Assurance from our local Discount Tire store for about $600 including mounting and balancing. We got the tires only a week after they had been released, but they had one set available, so we were able to avoid having to pay the special order price. I love the tires, they can handle water better than anything else I've seen, and mud and sand are no problem for them either. If they made them large enough, I would get them for my truck as well. I live in TX, so I haven't got to test them on snow or ice yet, but I think they should do rather well there too. They're are rated as a 90,000 mile tire, so they should last a long time and easily be worth the money. I can't remember, but think they are speed rated for 135-140, so they are good performance tires too. I would recommend them to anyone. They've kept traction in alot of situations where other more expensive tires have failed, even the Pirellis.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
my car has 17" kumho's on it, the person that i bought the car from has the reciept in with the massive pile of paperwork and they cost him $92 each from tire rack, then he had to get them mounted and balanced on top of that, so i think you got a very good deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts