DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY guys i was wondering what a glass pack would sound like on a trep. i am thinking about getting one because they sound cool and are pretty cheap. i jsut dont know how to install it or where it would go so i was wondering if you know how to. Also what brand and how much money do you expect it will cost in the end :(

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
a glass pack muffler, is a muffler packed with fibre glass. summed up, it makes noise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
a glass pack is a muffler system. i never new that. hey austin or blkbute or someone else. can u explain what are the advantages and disadvantages of this glass pack mufflers. or they just make noise. thanks :D

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Glass Packs sound GREAT - now my wife isn't overly fond of them but I love 'em !!!

Let us know how it works out - what muffler you used etc. I'd be interested in checking it out.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
A reminder. Glass packs get louder with age, as the fiberglass breaks down and goes out the back of your tail pipe.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Originally posted by Miami R/T:
a glass pack is a muffler system. i never new that. hey austin or blkbute or someone else. can u explain what are the advantages and disadvantages of this glass pack mufflers. or they just make noise. thanks :D
there is no advantage to this, if anything its a disadvantage to the Intrepid because you will loose the back pressure. all it does is make noise, and they are real cheap, I do not think that they last too long either. Never owned one so I do not know the life span of one.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: blkbute ]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you wont loose very much power if any at all because our treps have a muffler a cat, and a resonator this will make up for the loss in the glass pack. If anything it will work better on a trep cus we have so many things in the exhaust system that creates back pressure,

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
brother had one on his 4.3L v6 blazer. sounded pretty cool. and about this loss of power due to backpressure... didn't dodge think of this before they went to a 24V system? isn't the primary goal of a 24V vs 12V system that it reduces drag going into and going out of the engine? wouldn't creating a big restriction counter that?

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is Kenne Belle's response to modifying exhaust. Basically the engineers tested and tested to come up with the most efficient perfoming setup.
"The ram air proved not to produce the HP results we'd like to see. The newer
the car, the more efficient they are - the factory engineers know due to
stricter mileage goals and emissions they have to design everything to get
the best results. The airbox nor the exhaust are restrictive, so there is not
much gain by changing either one of them. The computer on the other hand is
different. They (the factory) program the computers on all the Chrysler cars
(except the R/T, Stealth and Viper) to run on 87 octane fuel. This means
there's room for improvement if you use higher octane fuel (to prevent
knock). "

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
is the air intake just restricted at the part near the tb? or is the whole thing with the box a waist?? I hear that having the box will do better performance for you than a cone filter. But with a cone filter I hear you get better engine noise.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The other thing is, that a cone filter just looks sweet under the hood, but not when it gets dirty, and it gets dusty under there fast, in the airbox it does not pick up as much crap that is in the air. I feel that mabe a modified air box(drilled holes) will be the best trick.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the airboxes are engineered to draw the maximum amount of cold air they can. if you remove the lid and filter from your airbox, you'll see a series of fins and baffles inside the box. the engineers knew it would get hot under there...they designed the box with that in mind. the best choice is using the airbox and drilling small holes in the bottom, then dropping in a replacement K&N filter. that should satisfy performance as well as sound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
97 sport platinum, in the air box how many holes would you suggest drilling? Also how will this addto the car's sound?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well I hear that 2, 2 inch holes should do it. And you will not notice anything big at all, its not letting that much more air in. The noise comes from just the extra air rushing into the engine. I think, I could be wrong on that one though.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i heard that either 2 2inch holes or 4 1.25 inch holes suffice. i'm not sure exactly how much more air it lets in but every little bit helps, and besides, it surely can't hurt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts