DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys

on ym rendezvous theres a piece of the headlight that easily breaks off mine broke off and i found it i wanna glue it back on what should i use? it needs to be somewhat clear i was curious bout model car cement?? it owuld be plastic to plastic this piece in the pic

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
on the outside or on the mount?

u can plastic weld the back of the headlight, the lens is hard to fix IMO

IF its just a side trim thats part of the headlight you can always use a thin bead of silicone to seal up the crack, and then use jb weld behind the headlight to hold the piece in place. Just remember to sand the bonding edges to get the best bond.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Cyanoacrylate which is pretty much super glue. If you go to a model shop they have all different kinds with different drying times & stuff. I've been using it on my models & r/cs for years. Plastic weld is laso good but I've never seen it in clear.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i forget what its called. but its the stuff that comes in 2 diff tubes, and you mix it, and then it makes a crazy, stronger-than-new bond...someone will know.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Badasstrep said:
i forget what its called. but its the stuff that comes in 2 diff tubes, and you mix it, and then it makes a crazy, stronger-than-new bond...someone will know.
Epoxy xomes like that. You add the hardener to it and then have a certain amount of time to work with it. Plastic weld is similar and is designed for plastics. It makes an extremely strong bond. I used it to attacj my hauhe pos to my pillar. The problem is, AFAIK it is only available in cream color. You should be able to find clear epoxy though.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hard to say without a close up of how the pieces will actually fit together. I have some experience doing stuff like this. I've used different epoxies. Got a close up? The model glue basically is for certain types of plastics only. Usually styrine based. It is made to actually soften the plastic for a short time (so the two pieces kind of weld together) before it dries. Doubt it would work too good on the more rigid plastic such as your headlight piece. Like I said, if you could show a closer picture or a better description......?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill try to get some more pics today BTW guys thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
74 Posts
Be careful with super glue. Tried it on my LHS taillight. It holds, but it got a slight whitish dusting on it (like CSI does to get fingerprints). Looks ok from a distance, but noticable up close.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Yeah, you have to be careful with superglue. It gives off fumes and if it seals quick enough it will create a white film like icebrrg said. Just use it in a well ventilated area and you should be fine.

Dave :evilking:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Just to clarify, i've used Cyanoacrylate (super glue/crazy glue) on clear parts for model cars and other things and I haven't found a way to get the white residue off. It would look awful on a clear lense of a car light. I would try the regular gel-type model glue or an epoxy before i tried superglue.

Oh yeah... no hard feelings about keeping your rims :)

Josiah

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Like I said, that model glue (like Testors) only works for certain types of plastics. I don't think it would work good for hard plastic like the headlights. Clear epoxy would be good if it has something to hold onto ie: not a totally flat surface. IntrepidCUB, could you be more specific as to how it is broken? Is it an actuall piece of the headlight housing or the edge....what?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
thats what i asked at first. BEcause if water is leaking in the lamp then you need to seal up the front for sure. IF its just a decorative thing, then you can probably get away with using jb weld behind the lamp and not even touching the front since anything will make it look worse. Im sure you would rather have a small crack than a stained lamp or worse.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i eneded upw ith some loctite adhesive that home depot recommended only thin i dont like is its flexible ot it kinda moves. its purely decroative but they have it jsut sticking up and no trim across the top so you press it hard enough youll snap it im gonna get some thick foam behind it to support it but it looks liek crap you can see the crack oh well hopefully they will start making aftermarket headlamps for it thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
hmmm, I was going to suggest maybe a junkyard, but that would pronbably still be expensive. That's the only thing now with these new type of headlight housings...being all combined with the turn signals and everything....they cost a bunch to replace more than the old ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts