DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From LeftLaneNews.com:

GM announces superchargers for Cobalt SS, ION Redline

GM Performance Parts is adding some extra juice to 2.0L Ecotec-powered Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS Supercharged and Saturn ION Redline by introducing two supercharger kits that generate significant power gain at the wheels. The Stage One and Stage Two performance upgrade kits provide an additional 31 and 36 horsepower respectively. “These stage kits are aimed squarely at the hard core enthusiast looking to boost the power of the already charged-up 205-horsepower 2.0L Ecotec engine of the Chevy Cobalt Coupe SS Supercharged and Saturn ION Redline,” said Nancy Philippart, executive director, GM Accessories. “They deliver increased horsepower and torque throughout the operating range of the engine.”

The Stage One Kit with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $500.00, includes higher-flow fuel injectors and an ECU calibration to provide a 31 hp boost to the Cobalt Coupe SS Supercharged and ION Redline Ecotec engine for a total of 236 hp and 205 lb.-ft. of torque.

The Stage Two Kit (P/N 17803229), with an MSRP of $750.00, yields more power through the middle section of the power curve versus the Stage One Kit. The Stage Two Kit includes the parts available in the Stage One Kit and adds a smaller supercharger pulley and drive belt, pushing the engine alive with 241 hp and 218 lb.-ft. of torque across a broad engine speed range.

A Stage One to Stage Two Upgrade Kit (P/N 17803230) is also available for an ION Redline or Cobalt Coupe SS Supercharged with a Stage One performance upgrade kit already installed. This kit converts the Stage One to Stage Two, increasing performance from 236 hp to 241 hp and has an MSRP of $400.00.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you check the dyno numbers for the original Cobalt SS, instead of 205 hp, it makes 218. I'd like to see these new numbers with the stage 1 and 2's.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
You can change the name and add superchargers but under the skin they are still Cadavers, er, Cavaliers......

·
Registered
450 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]You can change the name and add superchargers but under the skin they are still Cadavers, er, Cavaliers......[/QUOTE]

Read up on the Cobalt and ION, they're radically different.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
A Supercharged Saturn? Thats like giving a 90 year old a boob job, it's still a Saturn.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]You can change the name and add superchargers but under the skin they are still Cadavers, er, Cavaliers......[/QUOTE]

I used to drive a cavalier. I tried to keep up with a cobalt SS once with my r/t. Trust me, they are NOT the same car!!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Spin said:
If you check the dyno numbers for the original Cobalt SS, instead of 205 hp, it makes 218. I'd like to see these new numbers with the stage 1 and 2's.
And the old Neon SRT-4 makes 230 and stage 1 goes to 250. Now i the new Caliber SRT-4 starts at 300 hp. Funny how GM used Stage 1 and 2 like DC has for 3 years ago.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Starnerf said:
That's a hell of a lot cheaper than Dodge's upgrade kits, though, admittedly, not as powerful.
a neon is going to smoke the cobalt ss stock for stock. a stage one neon vs a stage one cobalt is going to be even more of a distaster. likewise stage two for two.

then again, the money you save buying the neon could well be spent on the stage one :D

it's a 2.4 turbo with a good trans and set of axles up against a 2.0L huffer with a questionable trans and axles (by the way, dish out more money for the latter). cobalt guys are going to have to fall back on the "well my interior is nicer" excuse at the track, a LOT. it's going to take a lot of modding to the cobalt to make it as quick as a srt with simple bolt ons.

the srt isn't the god of all cars most of its owners think it is, but they have good reason feeling good about themselves in the biggest bang/buck car ever produced.

·
Registered
467 Posts
SPOOK R/T said:
And the old Neon SRT-4 makes 230 and stage 1 goes to 250. Now i the new Caliber SRT-4 starts at 300 hp. Funny how GM used Stage 1 and 2 like DC has for 3 years ago.
more importantly, the neon makes 250 torque, stock. stage 3 guys NEED to buy slicks because of traction issues. not bad for the price.

torque > * :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Read the articles concerning the Srt-4's massive torque steer with the Stage kits. It may have more horsepower, but I'll be damned if you could keep that thing under control while in a serious race.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
They have handeling kits for that also. Plus stage 1 kit is only $399.00 installed. And the SS will have the same problem's. With more power under the hood also.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Warlord187 said:
That not too bad of a deal, especially if it is all under the factory warranty.

wouldnt matter, if it caused the motor to blow up,they'll tell u it is an aftermarket mod, and that it voided your warranty

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thats true chevy as already voided warranties. On trucks because the owners did not stay with oem stock size tire's. Let alone Performance up grades.

·
Registered
450 Posts
SPOOK R/T said:
They have handeling kits for that also. Plus stage 1 kit is only $399.00 installed. And the SS will have the same problem's. With more power under the hood also.
I have the issue of Car and Driver testing the Neon SRT-4 with the handling and suspension sport packages installed on the cars. They said it was crap. The power under the hood of the Cobalt won't be near as much. The handling will still be affected, but not near as bad.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Spin said:
Read the articles concerning the Srt-4's massive torque steer with the Stage kits. It may have more horsepower, but I'll be damned if you could keep that thing under control while in a serious race.
white mountain srt-4 went 10.89 a few weeks ago on a stage 3R kit.

I think that's control.

·
Registered
467 Posts
wb6vpm said:
wouldnt matter, if it caused the motor to blow up,they'll tell u it is an aftermarket mod, and that it voided your warranty
yep. the dodge kits are not warranty either. mopar "performance" parts are not covered under warranty (which is why they can sell the cat-less downpipe for example).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts