DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I put GM Power steering fluid in my Intrepid ????

Is it a good idea or stupid ???

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
In one respect, ANY good hydraulic fluid should work,it it wasn't contaminated with water or another fluid that wasn't compatable.
On the other hand, Mopar spec'd the steering rack to whoever made it,and the pump.
The Factory Service Manual says to use ONLY the same as our trannys, ATF+4.
(at $28/gal!)
Don't know if GM stuff will mix or freak out your steering rack/pump...

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
alarkyokie said:
In one respect, ANY good hydraulic fluid should work,it it wasn't contaminated with water or another fluid that wasn't compatable.
On the other hand, Mopar spec'd the steering rack to whoever made it,and the pump.
The Factory Service Manual says to use ONLY the same as our trannys, ATF+4.
(at $28/gal!)
Don't know if GM stuff will mix or freak out your steering rack/pump...
maybe for 2g's.. DO NOT put atf of any kind in a 1g.. unless you like changing your power steering pump..

·
Registered
843 Posts
Why would you do something like that?Just get a quart of ATF+4 use what you need and stick the rest with the spare tire.Most gas stations dont carry it so if you ever find your tranny is low its nice to have.Its a PITA to drop what your doing and find the nearest dealer esp on the highway!!

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Last time I asked (at the dealer) they said NOT to mix the ATF+4 with PS fluid. DC did start using ATF+4 as the factory fill sometime in 2002 MY. Mine was built in October 2001 and has PS fluid in it, not ATF+4. But if you have a complete flush for some reason (i.e., change the steering rack) then you should refill with ATF+4 or if the factory fill for yours was ATF+4 then you should stick with that ...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Gen1 uses standard P/S fluid. Gen2 uses ATF+3 but a TSB recommends flushing and refilling with ATF+4. Do not use any ATF in Gen1 P/S.

·
Registered
639 Posts
also, ATF+4 cost me $15 a gallon at my Dodge dealer. That is quite a markup if you are paying $28 a gallon.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I found the TSB:
19-005-03 dated 08/29/03

DISCUSSION:

ATF+4 (MS9602)
Note that MS9602 is Red in color and MS5931 and MS9933 are Amber/Yellow in color. All three fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

Refer to the table to identify factory fill and the approved service power steering fluid by year and model.

The part numbers for MS9602 are 05013457AA (quart) and 05013458AA (gallon). The part number for MS5931 is 04883077 (quart). The part number for MB345 is 05127381AA.

MS9602 should not be mixed or used as a "topping off" fluid on systems requiring MS5931. On some past models, MS9602 should be used as the replacement fluid. On these models, if a power steering system is being serviced that results in a large fluid loss, such as a pump, hose or gear/rack replacement, the complete system should be drained and filled with MS9602.

The TSB then lists all Chry veh's and the factory fill and current recommended p/s fluid types. Here is the info for the LH platform veh's:

Year Factory Fill: Recommended:
93-97 MS5931 MS5931 (standard p/s fluid, amber in color)
98-01 MS9933 MS9602 (change to ATF+4)
02-04 MS9602 MS9602

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Big3 - thanks for the confirmation!

CDN R/T said:
Awesome to know... ATF+4 = PSfluid for me.
Check the existing fluid color before using that! Mine is also an '02 but has the older PS fluid - NOT ATF+4. The guy at the shop checked it for me while I was there so until I flush the system (maybe at 60k miles?) it's the yellow/amber PS fluid for my '02 ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts