DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in to get my tires rebalanced the other day and the guy said that my Dunlop SP Sport A2's were wearing in the center, as if the tires were overinflated. Funny thing is, I always check them to make sure they're at 30-32 psi cold, which is at or slightly below the recommended pressure. So I'm thinking maybe the tire pressure gauge I've been using is inaccurate or something.

So if I go out and buy another gauge, how do I tell the decent ones apart from the crappy ones? Are the ones with the dial face more accurate than the ones that have the little rod pop out of the end? Sounds like a dumb question,but if you've got an opinion, I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use the kind that has the little rod pop out of the end. Try to find one with a narrow range too (up to maybe 50psi) as apposed to one that would read 100psi+. That might increase chances of increased accuracy. Digital ones nowadays are fairly accurate too I believe.

Also, the center tire wear may just mean that you drive like a grandpa 24/7. Take some corners, man! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go with the old school ones that have the rod that pops out. My Dad used them and it's all I've used in 22 years of driving. I bought a dial type and tossed it soon after.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a Caterpillar one and it works great. I hate the old rod ones because that little rod can get bent or stuck really easy. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I read an article where they checked those accustem gauges and found they were not all that accurate. Some people use them on their motorcycles and found them to read a few psi off. Kinda important on a bike.
I use a Summit tire guage, comes with a longer extension, white face guage, and a nice carrier. I would stick with something like that for accuracy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts