1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
472 Posts
My first intrepid came with Goodyear tigerpaw tires and my second came with Goodyear Regatta tires....I ABSOLULETY HATED both sets....will never buy goodyears. They were both sooo sloppy and soft, very very little traction dry, and the regatta's hydroplane as bad as bald tires. They squeal at the slightest things and are always rolling over onto their sidewalls. Steering response is so slow that when I put on new tires it felt like changing from an 85 ford pickup to a new sportscar just from the change in the tires.

My offroading buddies also curse goodyears for being the easiest tire to puncture and or destroy itself either from tearing pieces out of the tread or blistering under the tread or sidewall. One of them says he destroyed 5 goodyear tires in a single season (early spring to end of fall) switched to a different brand of tires and this year and has had no problems doing all the same stuff in all the same places with the same vehicle.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
IntrepidSportDriver said:
My first intrepid came with Goodyear tigerpaw tires and my second came with Goodyear Regatta tires....I ABSOLULETY HATED both sets....will never buy goodyears. They were both sooo sloppy and soft, very very little traction dry, and the regatta's hydroplane as bad as bald tires. They squeal at the slightest things and are always rolling over onto their sidewalls. Steering response is so slow that when I put on new tires it felt like changing from an 85 ford pickup to a new sportscar just from the change in the tires.

My offroading buddies also curse goodyears for being the easiest tire to puncture and or destroy itself either from tearing pieces out of the tread or blistering under the tread or sidewall. One of them says he destroyed 5 goodyear tires in a single season (early spring to end of fall) switched to a different brand of tires and this year and has had no problems doing all the same stuff in all the same places with the same vehicle.
Ummm I think you missed the point.....This isn't a Goodyear bashing thread, but more of a "How do you like this specific tire thread", by ppl who actually own them !! I'm sorry you hate Goodyears, but evidently you didn't pick any of those tires, and they are the cheapest Goodyears you can get. I'm sure the a few hundred ppl in here who can complain about Michelin or other brands if you get their baseline tires. At the end you get what you pay for. :bigok:

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first intrepid came with Goodyear tigerpaw.
Goodyear dosen't make the Tiger Paws

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
well , im like 50/50 with goodyears... 2 goodyears had a blister on the sidewall. (one after 20 miles, other after maybe 400 miles) one had a blister on the threads ...had no spare and had to drove home hopping on the highway. caused my wheel bearing to seize up , locking my shoes and poping my wheel cyinder.... my 2 front goodyears went bald in the front but that was does to a mis alligment. i got a new set of goodyears on teh front and back...they feel alot better then the slightly used tires i went thru. they do screack a litte sometimes. but for a cheap priced tire , i guess u pay for what u get,

·
Registered
663 Posts
Goodyear has not been my favorite choice either, if your looking for excellent tires for the money check out the Yokohama AVID TRZ All-Season. I'm very impressed with the handling and the ride so far and they came highly recommeded.

Yokohama AVID TRZ
Tire Rack

·
Registered
476 Posts
The comfortred is the high end luxury touring tire. The triple tread is the better all season. Both of them are rated really high but the triple tread is better in wet weather. Either of them would be a nice choice.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,607 Posts
I have the Triple-treads on for about 2 months and can say they are a good rain tire. I don't even get the tire slip when going from a stop uphill. The ComforTreads are supposed to have a better ride and be even quieter for road noise. And I believe they both have a 70k tread wear warranty. I believe Treppenwolf has a set of Comfortreads and likes them.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I went with the TripleTread's, because the ComforTred's have a softer rubber compound. I don't have anything bad to say about them. Like DIT said, you get what you pay !!

Edit: they both have a 80,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Our Monte Carlo has a set of Tripletreds on them and have had no complaints, much better tire than the stock Eagle GA.

Goodyear tigerpaw tires
Uniroyal.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies everybody. I thought about the Triple Tread but I was not sure I would like the whole directional tread thing. I am looking for someting that will last. I had good luck with the last set of Goodyear Viva 2s I had on my car before I got my new rims but now I need to serch for diferant tires. I had stock 15" now I got Concord 16" rims

·
Registered
472 Posts
Strongt said:
they both have a 80,000 mile warranty.
Personally I don't think the warranty really matters much. Has anyone Ever actually gotten anywhere near the amount of miles out of a tire that it is warrantied for, or has anyone ever been compensated for not getting the warrantied miles out of a tire that they were warrantied for?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Comfort ride is quiet and absorbs more bumps - Like michelin it has very flexable sidewalls.

Triple-Tred is a little bit stiffer and noiser, but I am sure you would notice it (unless you are comming from quiet tires). It has silica in the center for slick traction and the aquatred type siphs.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

EWWWWWWWWW REGATTAS!!! YUCK! My intrepid and sable had them. Talk about JUNK. They were some of the WORST tires i've ever had in my life. Terrible handling, loud, bumpy, terrible tires. I replaced the junkyears on the Intrepid with generic Defenity EX300's and love them. Handling has inproved greatly and the car feels soo much different. The Sable got Futura 2000 LTEs and the ride is much smoother, quieter and it handles like a sports car. I dont know much about the assurance series, but from what I hear they are decent. I prefer generic tires. I dont street race or anything. I just like a quiet, smooth ride with good handling and I dont feel like paying out of the ass for some tire when Im just really buying the brand.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Personally I don't think the warranty really matters much. Has anyone Ever actually gotten anywhere near the amount of miles out of a tire that it is warrantied for, or has anyone ever been compensated for not getting the warrantied miles out of a tire that they were warrantied for?
Yep, I have ! On, my wifes car, she has a set of Michelins on it. We got alittle over half the miles on the tire that they were rated for. So the tire dealer give me, $25 for each tire, if I got the same brand again. Not to bad for a $ 70 tire. ( Thats the one thing I like about her Neon, small tire's means smaller price) Any way, my point is, you guy's should point out the miles that the tire is rated for, when it comes time to trade them in for new one's. Tell the tire dealer's and save alittle money next time. And also, the rule of thumb that I always go by, is that you will get about half the miles out of the tire, then what it's rated for. And also you get what you pay for around here. I've seen to many people get cheap tires, and with the heat hitting over 105, the cheap tire blows out going down the road. But if you don't have alot of cash, get the best tire you can for the money.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i put the comfortreds on my wife's minivan. they are good in wet weather. they are the quietest tires, by far, that i have ever ridden on. there are some issues with some of these, though. seems goodyear had some problems with balancing. i had to take it back twice so be extremely cognizant of the ride when they are new and make sure they are road force balanced. if they are good ones you will like them alot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts