DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm looking at new tires. I'm considering the Regatta 2's or the Aquatred 3's. I know I've asked for tire recommendations before, and Dunlop Sport A2's were recommended. I think I'm gonna stick to Goodyear, though. I liked my Michelins... except for their snow traction.

Who has owned either a set of Regatta 2's or Aquatred 3's and what do you think of them?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have the regatta 2's on me trep. good traction, no discernable tire wear in the 12k that I have driven since I bought the car

·
Registered
229 Posts
Go for Bridgestones!! THe Potenza series offers great wet traction as well as dry traction. Specific patterns in the Poteza group are also good for snow. (My $0.02)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll go with the Aquatred 3's... depending on where I can get them installed around here the cheapest.

They have the same 80K mile treadwear rating as my Michelins did. So far I think I've gotten around 60K out of them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have good year aqua 3s and have had them on the car for over a year and are wonderful for traction and wear very well. I will buy them again definatley!!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
What's the speed rating on those bad boys??? I'm looking for something that can handle 150Mph/250km/h

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i'd take potenzas any day over any goodyear or michelin.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I'm thinking BFGoodrich G-Force KDW (Dry/Wet) or something else, not sure

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I had the Aquatred 3 on my intrepid, and while they did handle great in the rain, you must consider the fact that you do not live in Seattle, and therefore, rain is not THAT big of an issue when considering how to spend several hundred dollars, or in my case with the Aquatred 3's, $550. On the highway, they start to get quite loud at over 75 mph, and the handling is a little questionable what with the squeaking and squealing on tarmac, though you try to convince yourself that they are secure. The noise may not be as noticeable on other cars, but as you know, many consumers have complained over the excessive noise transmitted into the cabins of the intrepids, both 1st gen and 2nd. Me personally, if I had to buy tires for a car similar to an intrepid, I would go with the Pirelli Scorpions or the Pirelli P9000. Both are cheaper and much better performing then either of the examples you brought up, well, at least it looks like they are according to Tire Rack and my personal experience.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Who said Bridgestones were cheap??!! Avenger....have you even done a price check?

I guess when a company, let's say Ford, asks a tire company, let's say Bridestone/Firestone, to build them a tire to their own specs and then on top of that they recommend filling the tires to only 26 psi (as stated inthe owner's manual) in order to lower the center of gravity because they KNOW they have rollover problems, it's still the tires fault even though they were being mis/abused.

Also, getting a flat tire is not so uncommon and not that big of a deal (at least it shouldn't be). Should a vehicle really roll over, causing injuries and death, because a tire went flat due to being overloaded for the recommended inflation? I don't think it should.

Anyway, Bridgestone compounds are excellent and I would recommend their tires. They have 80,000 mile tires as well. The rain tires aren't loud like GY's.

I still recommend the Potenzas!!! Won't know until you try em... (don't recommend if you have an Exploder.... damn my spelling!!)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Yeah, I also think there is a better product out there than Goodyear.

And Avenger, if you're going that route, I suggest the KDWS model as well. Still a great tire, but it handles snow a LOT better.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Avenger... and others in snowy environments...
I know it gets kind of expensive, but have you considered snow tires for winter? I never really did until this past year. I had Michelins on my Lexus and there was absolutely no traction... even in rain. It was RWD so i figured I didn't want to take chances with a new baby and all. I got snow tires and they mad the biggest difference. A bit costly but you can use them for 4-5 years.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Axle said:
I had the Aquatred 3 on my intrepid, and while they did handle great in the rain, you must consider the fact that you do not live in Seattle, and therefore, rain is not THAT big of an issue when considering how to spend several hundred dollars, or in my case with the Aquatred 3's, $550. On the highway, they start to get quite loud at over 75 mph, and the handling is a little questionable what with the squeaking and squealing on tarmac, though you try to convince yourself that they are secure. The noise may not be as noticeable on other cars, but as you know, many consumers have complained over the excessive noise transmitted into the cabins of the intrepids, both 1st gen and 2nd. Me personally, if I had to buy tires for a car similar to an intrepid, I would go with the Pirelli Scorpions or the Pirelli P9000. Both are cheaper and much better performing then either of the examples you brought up, well, at least it looks like they are according to Tire Rack and my personal experience.
I can't find either of the two Pirelli tire models you mentioned on Tire Rack... maybe I'm missing something.

Both the Regatta 2's and AquaTred 3's have very good snow traction ratings... that's what I'm most after along with good year-round performance and treadwear. I also wanna have it installed here in Plymouth (where I work) because there's a place right across the street that a lot of people here at school have work done at and they've been very pleased.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Sorry, I've got my Tire Rack set up for a different car, apparently I have to reset it every time for a different car. Anyways, here is the list of tires I like for under $470 for the set from tire rack. Reason I picked less than $470 is because if you add up mounting, balance and all that other fun stuff is usually around $30. I personally feel that spending more than $500 on tires for stock rims is a little ridiculous. Anyways, here are the ones that are good tires from priciest to least costly, price is per tire.

Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP - $117

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical - $110

Bridgestone Potenza RE950 - $103

Bridgestone Potenza RE750 - $103

Yokohama AVS dB S2 - $96

Continental ContiExtremeContact - $76

Bridgestone Potenza RE910 - $75

Sumitomo HTR+ - $61

Sumitomo SRIXON4 - $55

I personally want to try the Yokohama AVS dB S2 on a car weighing half a ton less than mine (literally), but that will not be happening any time soon. If you really want to save but still have a great tire, go with the Sumitomo HTR+, I have heard great things and they are cheap. If you really want to know, the wagon is wearing Pep Boys specials, cause you just can't beat the low prices.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I suggest the RE910s that's what I'm currentlly running...

I don't think any of these tires have a 80K mile waranty like you want. (just my feeling. i haven't checked it out)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input, everyone.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I see you are still going to go with the A2 as are many other members, any particular reason why these?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts