DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my thoughts on my new Tripletred's.

Before Christmas I decided to replace my reasonably new Uniroyal Tigerpaws and Eldorado's that came with my '97 Intrepid ES purchased in Apr/04. Both sets had lots of tread left but were very unimpressive and winter driving with lots of wheel spin, sliding and traction control grinding convinced me there must be a better way to travel. After mucho research at sites like www.tirerack.com I decided to go for what seemed to be the number one pick and after almost a 2 month backlog wait for them arrive, after 2 weeks and 1,000 km's my thoughts are....

excellent, excellent tires! Now these should be called "tiger claws" as straight-line front grip is superb, they literally feel like they are digging in to the pavement and pulling the Trep along.

They had a bit of a drifty quality at the start but this seems to be going away and sound quality around town didn't seem to be dramatically better. However, once you hit the highway doing at least 100 km per hour these babies quiet down like nobody's business.

We had a few inches of snow last week and the Tripletred did not disappoint as they cut through the snow or slush at least twice as good as the old tires. One comment I read criticized their cornering ability and I would agree that they do start to slide if you try and take corners as fast as the straightaways. Their optimum grip is going straight forward but I found them totally predictable and easy to judge and braking is equally good. Ride quality is also improved but wasn't a night and day noticeable difference. Also, I was wondering if the higher grip would be a detriment to rolling resistance and mileage but I would say in the snow mileage is better as the tires grip much, much better. Overall, my weekly mileage estimate shows a small increase in mileage of about 1-2 mpg so far even accounting for the warmer weather the last two weeks.

Simply put these tires give better off the line grab with very good city driving, handling and braking performance. Highway driving felt smoother and much quieter as these tires really excel at high speed and definitely feel well matched to the Trep giving a composed, comfortable ride. Handling and cornering are good but not significantly better than before. I asked the seller to balance the tires with weights on the inside of the rim and am glad they did because the rims and tires certainly have a cleaner, better look than before.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to anyone considering new tires.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Excellent feedback space1999.

No tire will be good at everything. It's all a comprimise.
The tripletread's big blocks of tread would seem to have good snow bite but would squirm alot under heavy cornering. Lines travelling along the tire tend to be relatively quiet.
Your reports seems to match this well.

My next tires will probably be the GoodYear Comfortreat but since there is lots of meat left on my GA's it'll be awhile.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The triple treads are OK, but my new tires I just bought are the absolute love of my life...

Toyo Proxes TPT. They are great all around, I really haven't found a weak spot yet. Handeling and traction are at an all time high with these tires. And at $501 with a 65K mile tread warranty, you can't really go wrong!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Well, from the tires I've had experience with:

Stock Michelin Pilot 225/50/17:
bad treadlife
satisfactory cornering
good straight line acceleration

Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17:
? treadlife (seems good so far)
great cornering
good straight line acceleration

Verdict: The stock Michelin Pilots are crap and I would NOT recommend buying a replacement set when there are tires out there like my RE730's.

I plan on getting a set of BF Goodrich KDW 245/45/17 (SRT-4 stock tires) as my next tires btw ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just got triple treads for my 04 trep a month ago.
The only thing I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Great tires in wet/dry no problems in the only snow we have had since I got them (about an inch)
Worth the cost. I paid $136 a tire, includes free rotating/balancing and road hazard. And they have an 80k mile treadlife warranty.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The thing that turned me off of the TripleTreads were the fact that I can't even go do a road course in them. They are crap for turns and such... The Toyo's are my favorite so far, followed by Lemans HR's.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
The Triple Tred's were on my list for consideration but my size 225/55/17 not available when I bought the Toyo. Previous experience with Toyo on my van (Open Country A/T) ran about 90,000 when noticed small sidewall bubbles (very small)--they were replaced at no cost and the new set had over 85,000 when I sold the van and had plenty of meat left. Dealer service and warranty basiclly sold me on the Toyo Proxes TPT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts